Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Yukon hub removal and spun bearings

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tawalz 
#1 ·
Did the Yukon free spin kit back in 13 everything went together well except one of the 4 prong nuts threading wasn't machined correctly so I purchased one locally. Well this week started having grinding from the front pulled it apart and the outer bearings is ground up metal, spindle has bearing race welded to it.

So what is the trick to remove the spindle, can't use the steering bolt trick as the spindle uses a nut and bolt vs threaded holes, welder wasnt handy to weld a nut on, the rear edge has a small lip but wasn't able to use it much like the factory unit bearing. About an hr latter it's off..seeing as the spindle is shot makes a great lever. but now seems to be stuck in the driveline.... ugh.. guess I will dig out the press.
Auto part Pipe Plumbing Spark plug

Other side is perfect.

I think maybe the spindle nut was faulty as one is broken in half and I honestly don't recall if it had the pin to lock the nuts together from moving but it's been 4 years. I also noticed the lock washer inside tab is gone.

So if you have to replace u joints better plan to weld a few nuts on.

Check bearings often.

Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Yikes! How often were you taking apart to clean and re-pack the bearings?

Having had spindles cold weld themselves to my steering knuckles and vowing never to have that happen again, my advice is as follows: Take the steering knuckle off and wire wheel or sandblast all rust and scale off. Use a flap wheel on the inside hole to make sure the spindle will fit nicely with minimal interference. Wash and degrease the steering knuckle and paint it with a few coats of paint (I didn't use anything fancy, just Tremclad). When reinstalling the spindle, use silicone grease (NOT antisieze!) to lubricate where the spindle goes into the steering knuckle.

I did that and was able to remove my spindles without trouble after that, after a solid winter season of driving on salt brine treated roads.

By the way, if you call up Yukon they will ship you new spindles. I got mine shipped from their distribution center in Washington to my door in Ontario in a matter of 3 days, I was very impressed by their customer service.

#3 ·
Yikes! How often were you taking apart to clean and re-pack the bearings?

By the way, if you call up Yukon they will ship you new spindles. I got mine shipped from their distribution center in Washington to my door in Ontario in a matter of 3 days, I was very impressed by their customer service.
Well I don't drive the truck much that's the thing. I purchased my 5th wheel in 2011 and I remember on the way to the dealer turning over 100K on the truck, Truck now has 125K but I didn't' get the free spin kit until 2013 Per my recipt.... so at 4200 Miles a year assuming the same miles each year 17K miles even if I put 25K miles on it, my understanding is 25K to 50K pack interval I should be ok, I was actually planning on packing them soon anyway in time for Camping season. So practical math says 17K miles... worst case is 25K Am I off on how often I need to repack?

After checking the other side there is a hot spot :( on the spindle...about the size of a pinky nail now i'm wondering If I should replace that spindle too.:doh:.. Bearings looked ok.

I really can't think or say if I under or over TQ the spindle nut or not, but I use a TQ wrench, I recon I may have over TQ them a smidge but not really positive those 4 prong nuts and washer keeper sort of suck, socket falls off a little too easy.

Weight wise I tow a 5th wheel, but the front doesn't exactly change much, and it's a DRW, stock height tires and wheels so I don't exactly "wheel" in it. :confused013:

I'm human :buttkick: and I recon I may have made a mistake... I made a mistake just trying to not repeat it and figure out what I did wrong.

#4 ·
I don't think you've done anything wrong from what I see :confused013: You're not putting a lot of miles on and I wouldn't have expected to see a totally trashed spindle, either.

If the lock washer for the spindle nut failed or was absent I'd wager that was why. It is tricky getting the washer to line up with the spindle nut, but that's all there is keeping the nut from loosening and the bearings from walking off the spindle.

When you order a new spindle make sure to get a new spindle nut, lock washer and snap rings. Download the instructions from Yukon's website, take your time doing it and keep on truckin' is all I can think of to offer in the way of advice :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.