Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Truck dies at crusing no codes?

979 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Eastman135 
#1 ·
Hey guys looking for some input here. My truck will randomly die while cruising on the highway or back roads usually at steady throttle. I experience kind of a dead pedal then all of sudden bam it's like 75% throttle then I let off down shift and pull over. My quadzilla shows my rail pressure frozen while this is happening but once it dies I turn the key off turn it on and wait for the start engine light to go off and cranks right up! Now if I shut the key off then go to crank right away it will keep cranking and I get no codes nothing radio stays on as well so the truck doesn't completely shut off. One time while it was happening I put my foot to the floor and it died right away and had a small puff off white smoke. My rail pressure at idle is 7000 cruising around 17k to 19k fuel pressure is at 20 psi.

Now my question is could it be electrical or am I sucking in air somewhere. I've tried to hunt this problem down on the forums can't find anything and I don't think my tps would kill the motor.

Sorry about my Sig haven't gotten there yet but truck has 25%over exergy injectors smarty touch and a quadzilla that never goes into a power mode also has a 6 spd. Truck has 182k starts up with no issues.

Thank you

See less See more
#4 ·
Mine does something similar. It only happens after 10+ of cruising with out letting off and only below 1/4 of a tank. After I pull over and cycle the key it usually fires back up after one cycle. I haven't dug into it yet Ive just been trying to keep it above 1/4.

#5 ·
From my experience with my cummins, everytime it died without a code, it was a fuel related issue with my connectors. Happened to me 3 times in different areas. Is your lift pump in tank or behind the fuel filter canister?

Big issue was my lift pump didn't have a proper ground. The ground cable actually went down to my ECM. All I did was put a ground cable where my rely was and that solved that issue. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.