2003 engine... help me - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2003 engine... help me

2003 5.9 240,xxx miles

Truck has had some symptoms I'm worried are symptoms of needing a rebuild. At the very least I want to figure the best way to test it and get a definitive answer.
Symptoms are:

-Low mileage (still stock injectors)
-some blow by (sometimes visible while driving and stopped at a light
-oil coming out the breather tube and noticing it on the tailgate (not a drastic amount but just cleaned the front axle and have notice new spots)
-believe it burns coolant (there's a definite smell after driving that I don't think is oil)
-upper radiator hose was pressurized (bulging, after barely getting to temp and driving the truck for 5 minutes)
-truck overheated a few months ago when the water pump failed and I had to get off the road. Don't know how much it overheated but the gauge never pinged

So I know partially I'm paranoid. I've been waiting for this to happen ever since I started getting blow by. I am wondering how's the best way to test all this. The truck is sitting right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab shortbed, silver and black everything. 2.5" hbs level rancho shocks up front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Get a shop or DIY run a manometer crankcase pressure test. You have the classic signs of piston/ring combustion gases blowby into the crankcase
Is the motor oil leaking out of the blowby tube and the blowby puffing out the tube?
Oil mist on tailgate, puffing out the oil fill hole.
Blowby amount/pressure is far more when engine is under load and rpms up.

Check the radiator for signs of champagne size combustion gas bubbles at 1500 rpms. There are hydrocarbon coolant test kits at auto parts store. Yes =s blown head gasket from overheat.

Any signs of white exhaust smoke on startup or driving? Does exhaust from warm engine smell like raw unburned diesel. Sign of leaking injector nozzle/s which destroys rings/pistons and leads to stuck piston and broke rod out the side of the block.

Pull an oil sample and send off to oil analysis lab for coolant and/or diesel fuel contamination and wear metals testing.

When you pull the injectors, run cylinder compression tests and send the injectors out for complete testing to a top end quality injector shop.

I would not drive it until manometer, injector, compression, oil, coolant tests are ran. These like to throw rods out the side of the block, can even take out the crankshaft.

Or just cut to the quick, pull injectors and have tested, run compression tests.
post #3 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

It's out of the blowby tube, there's some flight puffing out the tube and oil has been pushed past the oil fill cap

Only ever noticed white puff a couple of times on startup. Only seeing it when the truck was started by someone else

I'll start looking up manometer test and a hydrocarbon test kit.

I have an oil sample from when it heated up and will also get another that's recent and will send both to get tested (I know it's probably better to just send the one but I'm interested to see)

Alright I'll

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab shortbed, silver and black everything. 2.5" hbs level rancho shocks up front

post #4 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Alright.... so I tried to do a DIY manometer. Didn't work.. the water didn't move at all so I'm not sure what to do with that. Maybe you guys can point me to why. Last pic is of the upper radiator hose and the pressure you can see by it bulging

post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Here is the results from the two samples from Blackstone

post #6 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

First one is after the water pump failed second is after I started noticing burnt smell of something and pressure in the cooling system

post #7 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Cummins Fan

I've gotten new tstats that were bad before that caused the bulged hose and over heating.

2003 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Auto 4x4
post #8 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp4951 View Post
I've gotten new tstats that were bad before that caused the bulged hose and over heating.

It's the old thermostat still never installed the new one but I'm going to put that in and replace the hoses

post #9 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:22 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Possibly you have a cracked ring. Have you noticed any loss of power? Pull the injectors out and compression test it. It is not that hard to do, there are youtube video showing the process. If you are not comfortable doing it take it to a shop and have them do it.

2004 2500 CCLB 325hp HO, 4x4 Nv 5600, Tater 63/65 Turbo, HPTuners, Firepunk Tunes, South Bend DD, Donaldson Muffler, ATS Arc Flow Intake, ATS 2 piece Exhaust manifold, Edge insight Pro CTS2, FASS Titanium 95, AFE Mega Cannon Stage II, Led tail lights
post #10 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 02:35 AM
Diesel Freak

Something definitely happened. Your engine is shaving iron. Pull your oil filter and open it up. Run a magnet through the oil (drain pan). Your aluminum and chromium are low, which are piston/rings, so you might be alright in that department so figure it out before you run it more. Got a lot of dirt coming in too, check your air intake. Dirt will cause iron wear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCLB White - Stock - In-Tank lift pump - DeeZee FX full length running boards - Spray-in bedliner - Fog Lights - A Dave Smith Lemon Special!
post #11 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by eodguy View Post
Possibly you have a cracked ring. Have you noticed any loss of power? Pull the injectors out and compression test it. It is not that hard to do, there are youtube video showing the process. If you are not comfortable doing it take it to a shop and have them do it.

I will probably have a shop do that just because I don't want to mess with the injectors and all

post #12 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20:04:05 View Post
Something definitely happened. Your engine is shaving iron. Pull your oil filter and open it up. Run a magnet through the oil (drain pan). Your aluminum and chromium are low, which are piston/rings, so you might be alright in that department so figure it out before you run it more. Got a lot of dirt coming in too, check your air intake. Dirt will cause iron wear.

Where could the iron be coming from? I'll likely just see shiny particles in the oil right? It did not seem to shimmer any but could I be looking for shaving?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode