Rotella, Delo, or Valvoline? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rotella, Delo, or Valvoline?

Ok. Never mind my sentiments towards Amsoil. Not gonna use it, people are happy with it, probably isn't the reason for my engine breaking down. Fine. I've done a lot of homework, listened to a lot of opinions, so it boils down to these 3. I like the fact that Rotella will probably be the easiest to get, Delo specs fit the bill nicely for the climate we have up here, and Valvoline looks good on paper too, but may be more expensive for nothing, since it won't be used for work at all. All 3 seem to be a top choice of fleet operators. Please share your experiences, good or bad, with these 3. Thanks guys.
2500calgary is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
SNAFU

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
I ran Rotella for years in my diesels and never had a problem with it, I quit using it because it stinks so bad. It seems like it stinks more now then it used to, I dont know what they changed. I switched to John Deere Synthetic and really like it. I dont have any experience with the other two, but if you can get past the smell Rotella is a good oil.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I just switched from rotella to amsoil. Rotella is a CJ-4 oil. Our trucks call for CI-4. Rotella isn't ideal for our trucks.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Just changed from shaffers to my good ol JD +50 hyguard I use it on my 300k tractors with no problems on any oil tests and longitivity. Why not my 50k truck
Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
been using rotella but have switched over to the valvoline which is in 2 other trucks in the fam
Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
As for myself I have used Rottela for years and never had any bad luck at all. I am a heavy truck tech and have done inframe rebuilds on Detroits, Cats, and Cummins with over million miles on them that have used Rottela since they were new and the bearings, cylinder sleeves, etc....have had little to no scaring and the oil journals have been gunk free. Keep in mind that those were owner operators trucks that TAKE CARE of trucks the right way. I have also seen engines go with under 500,000 cause they were not taken care of I have used Valvoline products in all my gassers over the years and like there products. But the C rating are backwards compatible and most of the oil on the market keep up with engine requirments. So that should not be a concern, just look at the spec on the bottle and that will tell what rating it is.
06 2500 Goerend tcs derale coolers thanks to S&N innovative diesel efi 66/74/12 E.D. pusher intake Cai arsonIII fass150 60%exergy cpp #103 springs arp 425 sump Bilstiens 5" tbe custom stereo 4 gauges redhead gearbox 08+ steering bd brace true ladder bars
blue06h.o. is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Delo or Rotella either one is good, I don't have any experience with Valvoline except 20 years ago. I hear it's a perfectly fine oil also though
Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
i have run rotella in 4 diesel pick ups that i have own and never stoped.

have the 5 40 syn. in mine right now works great.

im sure the others are good too.

but rotella is at wally world and easy to get and farely cheap . and works so thats what i use and allways will
Old 12-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

2500Calgary, thanks for starting this thread. I've always ran rotella 15w-40 in all my diesels and had very good luck with it. The only downside I've found is the smell.

With all the hoopla about CI vs CJ lately I've gotten a little nervous (and been a little tired of the rotella smell) so I picked up some Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 for my next oil change. The valvoline that I bought is still CJ oil but the cummins endorsement is what sold me. I may go with synthetic after the truck is broke in but for now it's dino oil.

My question and reason for subscribing is: Is the Valvoline better or at least equal to the other CJ options ?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserbailey View Post
I just switched from rotella to amsoil. Rotella is a CJ-4 oil. Our trucks call for CI-4. Rotella isn't ideal for our trucks.
All the "off the shelf" oils are CJ-4 now. Have been for quite some time. They are backwards compatible.
Retired Navy Chief - Vanilla 04 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 48RE w/MagHytec DD, Smarty Jr, HOG 4" Exh, Modded Air Box, Isspro Gauges, Quadzilla RPG w/fuel pressure, DynaTrac front, Coolant By-Pass Filter - B&W Turnoverball w/Companion 5vr hitch
NavyDood is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
"MR. ESAFO TO YOU!!"

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
used rotella previously & switched to valvoline 2 weeks ago. i have noticed a little less smell from the exhaust.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

At a NAPA yesterday and their fleet 15w40 was CI oil $10 per gallon
sillyf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.