Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Turbo- Rebuild or Buy New?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DKFIRE12 
#1 ·
I am starting to gather all the parts I want to have in order to install my twin kit. Because I have 277,XXX miles on my truck, what is best practice? I will be installing head studs as well prior to the compound install. I will have to do the work in phases as this is my daily driver. If anyone has a stock replacement for me then I would possibly be interested in that also. I travel frequently from Kansas to Dallas down 75 by Muskogee Oklahoma.

I have searched and can't really find the answer I am seeking. This is basically for towing and daily use.

#4 ·
Well, the idea behind these threads is to allow some of us to comment and others to learn. I have read and watched the videos of rebuilding but also like to seek the ideas and thoughts of others with more experience. Just like to make sure my money is spent in the right direction.

#5 ·
I would not be the least bit worried about rebuilding a turbo on one of these. They are rather straight forward and quite easy. Worn part replacement is critical.

#6 ·
They are all pretty easy to rebuild but it's always needs to be balanced.

If you clean any carbon or anything off you need to clean it all off to not introduce weight out of balance.

I did my stocker no problem and tons of borg warners .

I don't recall where I got the manual for the stocker. Torque is critical and identifying clearance issues.

If there is a turbo shop around have it balanced.

#7 ·
There are many turbo shops available to rebuild. In my area these turbos on 3rd gens are a dime a dozen. You can get a pretty low mileage good condition one for 1-300 bucks. I would check your local facebook groups and craigslist to be honest. If you wanted a quick solution that is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.