Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Diesel Fuel in Oil......Ugh!

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  BR3500 
#1 ·
On my way this morning to have some exhaust work done.....I ended diverting myself to my dealer. :frown2:

Long story short.....Diesel fuel in the oil...I may have an injector or 2 that needs replacing. Injectors being pulled to check O-rings and send out for testing. CP3 seal seemed ok. Truck is out of service :crying:

Any injector vendor suggestions?

#2 ·
Cant help ya on a vendor but do you mind me asking how you found the fuel in.oil?

#3 ·
At first I noticed the truck was running a bit rough at idle. Once it was moving, all was well. As I was heading to the shop, a fellow driver told me I was leaking something as I was going down the road. I pulled over and I pulled the dip stick (thinking I lost oil) and the level was way high. Also at idle, oil pressure dropped. Had to feather the throttle lightly in neutral (auto trans) when stopped at a stop light to keep the pressure up, once it began to drop. Limped it the dealer....

#5 ·
Thanks. Off to the autoparts store. I'll need 3 gallons of 15W-40 Shell.....at least for starters...not meaning to jinx myself further....

Not a good way to start the week.

#7 ·
Hey Eric, thanks for the Intel. I was on DAP's site. They have quite a collection of injectors. I found on Injectors Direct website a set of Bosch OEM injectors for $349/EA or $1999/Full Set (+core charges). They list the injectors as new...I'll have to check that out for fact or fiction.

I'll also check out S&S and exergy.

Funny story too.....I called the dealer to see if they pulled the injectors yet and to ask if any of the O rings went south. Injectors pulled, O rings fine. The service writer told me right now I was at $2200, less any injectors or the cost to test them....My jaw about hit the floor. I asked for a break down of what they were charging..............Let's start with the connector tubes......need 6....their price $120/EA. Oil.......I'm not even going to publish in this post what I was quoted.....But let's just say I could purchase several barrels for crude for what they were charging me....I told them I'll provide the tubes, the oil, the oil filter and any injectors needed. I just purchased the tubes $310 for all 6 shipped to my door step next day service. Oil: $50 bucks for 3 gallons of Rotella 15W-40. Tomorrow I'll visit my local Cummins dealer and pick up an oil filter. A bright side here.... injectors to be tested came in at $35.00 each. Woo hoo.

Man I'll tell ya what, what a bunch of rip off artists....

Next point of negotiation with my dealer is going to be the labor charge.....right now that's hovering around $1.3K....Argh!

#9 ·
A joke is putting it nicely.....I use the words waste, fraud and abuse. Granted because of the testing they did with the valve cover off, oil and who knows what else was slopped everywhere, the underside of the truck is a mess, it needs an oil change, etc. But Spray 9 and a detail can't be worth that much more......could it?

I already talked with my dealer....they're going to "help me out". Ok, we're going to see how much help I'm given.

#10 ·
I used Injectors Direct, over a year and a half and no problems. Very good to deal with. I did the install myself. One thing you should do is buy the connector tubes from the same place you get the injectors from. That way there's no blame game should things go south. Some companies are selling substandard connector tubes. Good luck.

#12 ·
An update.....Test results in. Number 6 injector was failed. The other 5 injectors filthy/clogged. Waiting on flow/pressure/spray pattern, etc. details. Regardless, I'm in the market (dang'it) for a "new" injector set. Might as well do them all while it's apart. My luck says, next week, number 3 will blow if I have it reinstalled. Welcome to the club I guess.

#13 ·
Just had to replace #3 injector on mine. Got new BMS stock injector, connector tube, and the thread on connector tube removal tool for close to $500 from DAP. Minus $100 when I return old one for core. If you end up putting all 6 in, might I suggest upgrading your filtration. If not at the same time as injectors, as soon as possible! Good luck. Might be cheaper to pay to have it towed home from dealer to do it yourself👍👍👍

#14 ·
DAP - for BMS. Just replace all 6. When the truck has X amount of miles, they all have the same miles on them. When one goes bad odds are they are all about to die. (50HP bump are only a few $ more) Oh, and BTW, there are ways to test them in your driveway.
Don't forget to upgrade fuel filters. Stock filters suck.
And if you haven't figured it out, stay away from the dealer.

#15 ·
How many miles did you have on those injectors. The reason I ask is that I have just over 180k miles on my stock injectors and just wondering when they will go.

#17 ·
Mine had a smig over 84K miles on them....I chalk this whole ordeal up to the previous owner for not doing proper fuel filter changes at necessary intervals...I would expect the injectors to make it 'til 100K....not quite in my case.

Keep after the maintenance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.