Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What can I bolt on, and still get an engine installed?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Chiricahua 
#1 ·
I just got the call that my 5.9 short block is ready to pick up. I pulled the head, and most everything else before i pulled the engine. I pulled the radiator, inter-cooler and everything else up front except the lower cross member that could be cut out pretty easily. I am pretty sure i can bolt on most everything before i install it, but thought I would ask if i was missing anything. (The FSM was laughable about dropping the tranny to pull the engine, so that is a dead end) I would really like to make the frame cross member removable too, but I dont want the flanges to be in the way. I really wish i had thought to look at that before I pulled it, because that would make an in-frame a snap. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Attached is a pic of the removal, if that helps.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
An inframe in these parent bore low end Cummins is just a pipe dream, 90% of the time motor has to be pulled for bore or resleeve.

Getting rid of that giant anchor on the front makes sliding the engine in easier, especially with head on. Far less FUs putting head back on while on engine stand.

#3 ·
Do people typically cut out the lower radiator cross member? If that cross member isn't removed, I can't see how the bumper could possibly be in the way of anything. I'mseriously considering installing with starter and turbo. I'm thinking it will go.

#7 ·
Remember, you slide the cross member all the way one way and cut the end off to remove it. It can be installed again without welding. Having the head on makes less work under the hood but it is heavier and clearances tighter. A good hoist is a must and removing the rad support makes it a lot easier.

#11 ·
Yup thats what I did..

#8 ·
I notched my crossmember ends on both trucks so they're true bolt-in units.

The thing is, nothing needs to be done to the crossmember. You can lift the engine and pull it all the way forward so the rear sump of the oil pan hits the crossmember. Crawl into the engine bay and do your best Hercules impression and lift the sump over the crossmember.

Anyone that's seen me knows I'm not the buffest dude around; if I can lift it over, anyone can.

Just another option. If you do that, use that thing that sits above your shoulders so you don't mess it up and get pinned against the firewall.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.