Brakes Sticking? Problem with slow pedal return. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Brakes Sticking? Problem with slow pedal return.

Hey guys,

My Wheels have been having alot of break dust on them. Way more than normal. The pedal drops a little when truck starts. I had the Brake Booster and Master cylinder replaced. The power steering pump is new also. Could the ABS be screwing up or calipers. I have to lift up on the pedal to get ight off. I thought a new brake booster, master cylinder, and steering pump would fix it. Im stumped, any ideas? Any simalr problems?
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
My guess is that there air in the lines. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but here's a bump for you.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Look for a crimp brake line. Check all of your lines!
AA BEN is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,276 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
There are a few return springs in the system. I think there is one on the pedal and for sure there is one in the master cylinder. I've seen some rebuilt master cylinders come in with pretty tight seals that don't allow the piston to properly return. Problems with the brake hydraulic system itself wouldn't cause the pedal to not return, so the lines wouldn't matter. On the hydraboost side of things air in the lines, or if the accumulator doesn't get bled out all the way that could cause what you're seeing. Brake dust on the 06's is pretty common especially on the fronts.

How long have you driven it this way? If the ABS was screwing up there'd be a light, it has pretty good internal diagnostics to detect faults.
Parts for sale Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49. Parting out 08 3500.
Shibbyutman is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Shibbyutman For This Useful Post:
skinnyfish (10-26-2009)
Old 10-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Would i look for in the master cylinder?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

if you were suspecting that the MC was sticking the best way to check it would be to remove the pin between the brake pedal and MC actuator rod. Push the pedal back down and pull it up and away. If you see that the piston/rod assembly doesn't return all the way to the top then you have some problem with the booster/master cylinder assembly that is causing it to stick. If you get that far and you see it is sticking then the next course of action would be to remove the master cylinder from the booster and try stroking it manually while it is disconnected. If it doesn't hang, then they problem is likely in the booster or in a misalignment between the MC and booster. If it still sticks, well then you need another new MC.
Parts for sale Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49. Parting out 08 3500.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've had problems with my 06 in a slow brake pedal return, almost like the return spring (if there is one) on the brake pedal isn't strong enuff.Really noticable when pulling a trailer, trailer brakes dont let off for up to 3 seconds, specially when the weather is cold. I get alot of brake dust on my front wheels also. Figured this is normal. I've seen it on other pickups also.

BTW, this is my first post, joined yesterday!!
Silver_Bullet is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

From 03-05 they used one pad material, but starting in 06, to get better stopping distances, they changed pads to a different material that makes TONS of dust so that part is normal. If you are having problems with slow return or sticking components the first step should be to totally flush out the fluid in the brake system (should be done every 2 years MAX anyway) and if you can't remember the last time it was done its time to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.