Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Can't remove front brake rotor...HELP!

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  rbertalotto 
#1 ·
I'm doing the ball joints on my 06, 4WD Cummins. I cant get the front brake rotor off. There are no cir-clips holding the wheel studs. It simply won't move. I tried using a large gear puller but i don't want to warp the rotor.
Any hints?

#2 ·
I'm not familiar with the front brakes yet, but the two mounting flanges are probably rusted together i.e. between the rotor and hub.

A sharp blow with a hammer on the rotor will normally jar them loose. Do not hit the wear surface but rather the side of the cylinder that sticks out from the center of the disk.

#3 ·
I just did my ball joints and had the same problem. Like Tom said, a few good blows with a hammer will shake it loose. Once it is loose use to dead blow hammers striking front back front back until it comes off. Worked great on both sides of my truck. Hope that helps..ROB

#5 ·
I had to use the torch on mine when i changed the hubs, rotors, pads and axle ujoints (should've done ball joints but ran out of $$). Using the torch and a good hammer I got them out, since I was replacing the rotors it didn't matter how or where I hit them.

Good luck with the hubs too, they are a PITA as well. I had to take a cut off wheel in between the hub ear and the knuckle and clean material out, then i could put a chisel in there and eventually work the hubs out. Since I was replacing the hubs, damage to the hubs didn't matter.

Upon reinstall of everything, I bought stock in anti-sleeze and used it everywhere that I could.

mac 'have fun...cause its not anything like having fun' gyvr

#6 ·
I finally got the brake disc off. Lots of Kroil Oil and a long 2X4 from the other side of the truck to give it a good bang.........Worked like a champ.

But now I can't get the bearing retainer off. I tried the various methods outlined in the various threads on ball joints. All I've done is bend a bunch of socket extensions and ruin a few 18mm sockets. It won't budge.

I tried an air hammer on the bolts for about an hour with no success.

I soaked it real good with Kroil last night and will try again this morning.

Any other hints I should be thinking about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.