What is the best Cummins? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What is the best Cummins?

Hello, I just sold my 7.3 and I am looking to get in another diesel. I have always thought the cummins is a great motor so I thought I would maybe give it a shot. I am wanting a daily driver that still pulls well and makes 400 + hp. Can you tell me which year cummins is the best suited for my needs and what mods are needed to reach this HP level? I was thinking with tuning, the right injectors and turbo upgraded I could reach this level but I am not awfully familiar with the cummins and its mods.
BENG0924 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
railer and bailer

iTrader Score: 10 reviews
to get 400 hp ? get an 04.5 model then get
edge juice w/att, quad x2 race box, smarty
sr, ppe box... 400 hp is not hard to get at
all with the common rail.

*edit* - welcome to cf !

closet poster
elephantrider is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

How much do you tow? Auto or manual? How many people do you haul around, do you need four doors? How much are you looking to spend? etc, etc
Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I tow weekly but small loads like a 24' Boat. I would be ok with 2nd or 3rd generation dodge. I am trying to stay under 20k and I have found some of both generations at this price. How much HP will a cummins make with the mods I mentioned before. Also how do the dodge trucks hold up?
The Following User Says Thank You to BENG0924 For This Useful Post:
GMCw7 (03-06-2013)
Old 08-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
railer and bailer

you dont need upgraded injectors OR upgraded turbo
to make 400 hp on a 3rd gen.

whatever year model you buy be sure to check all of the
ball / u joints as well as the carrier bearing if its a long
bed.

closet poster
Old 08-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I would be ok with an auto or a handshaker. I currently have my eye on a 02 and a 03 both are auto and both have 145k miles on them.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENG0924 View Post
I tow weekly but small loads like a 24' Boat. I would be ok with 2nd or 3rd generation dodge. I am trying to stay under 20k and I have found some of both generations at this price. How much HP will a cummins make with the mods I mentioned before. Also how do the dodge trucks hold up?
Honestly, the dodge shell starts to fall apart at about 220K miles but that Cummins will go forever and ever if taken care of. We have a 98 dually with 350K+ on it right now... the dodge is absolutely falling apart around it, but that Cummins still starts on the first click and has as much power as ever lol.

I think most of the problem is because they ride so rough, it just beats the pickup to death.

Granted we're especially hard on our pickups out here on the farm, but with boat towing, you'd be alright with any 3rd gen automatic. The 03's to 04.5 make 285hp/555tq I think where as the newer 5.9's make 310/625 stock. Someone can correct me if that's wrong. The other guys would know more about how much power each thing adds. I know that my '07 tows like a Peterbilt, but it's a 6 speed manual. Either way, you'll like the power that these new CR's make.

EDIT: I haven't had a 3rd gen long enough to see if they hold up past 220K, but that seems to be the experience we've had with our 3-2nd gens and 3-1st gens. I have the first 3rd gen on our farm thus far.

FYI: 3rd gen=03-07
2nd gen = 94-02
1st gen= 89-93

The third gen has an electronic common rail injection system
The 98.5-2002 has a VP44 electronic injection system which is prone to failure without sufficient fuel flow
The 94-98 has the ultimate reliable P7100 mechanical fuel pump and a 12v engine vs. a 24v in all newer engines. This engine will run as long as you can turn it over.
The 89-93 has a rotary mechanical fuel pump that is as reliable as the p7100 but has lower injection pressures. They just aren't capable of making the power that the 94's and up can.

Last edited by bbraden; 08-18-2009 at 10:22 AM.
bbraden is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Yea I have heard bad things about the dodge structure. I sure would like to give the cummins a try tho. How do they hold up when they are chipped and everything are they prone to failure, or do they hold up pretty well to the abuse? Maybe the 3rd generations will hold up better.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

On the dodge the weakest link is the transmission correct? Is there a preferred builder that does goos with these transmissions or a way to make them bulletproof? I know Suncoast does them here in Florida, are they any good, or are there better builders??
Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
railer and bailer

on a dodge auto, that is one of the weakest links. the manny holds
up to power adders better.

closet poster
The Following User Says Thank You to elephantrider For This Useful Post:
BENG0924 (08-18-2009)
Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

should the cummins have any blow-by or any easy test I should do on the motors before buying?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

i wouldnt say they fall apart. I've got a 04 305/555 with 426000 and still counting. It could use a paint job bc of rock chips other than the normal u joint/ball joint issues, it has been a perfect truck!
BENG0924 (08-18-2009), mjlafrance (09-12-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.