Purolator Fuel Filters - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Purolator Fuel Filters

As I mentioned in another post the local autoparts stores all seem to push the Fram filters. Wakefield Sperling does sell Purolator and WIX but they don't stock WIX filters, anyway.........

I bought a purolator oil and fuel filter for my 3500 but I have since found out that there is a Auklands Grainger store near me that sells Baldwin filters as well as a Peterbuilt dealership not far away. So should I throw away the purolator filters and get the baldwin or just use the filters I have and at the next change get the baldwin filters?

I know some of you will swear by baldwin or fleetguard but since I have already spent the money I would like to use the purolator filters but not if they will damage the engine. Like many of the members have stated "Stay Away From Fram Filters" cause they have had some history of comming apart and damaging the engine, That ofcourse is the last thing I would want to happen.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

How much are new oil and fuel filters? How much is a new engine?

From what I understand, the Purolator fuel filter does not meet Cummins specs for filtration and water separation. I'd change that one at least. If you ever have engine trouble and the dealer sees a non-spec fuel filter, they'll likely void your warranty. Fuel filtration is something you don't want to skimp out on when dealing with a diesel -- too many expensive parts.
Dan V is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan V For This Useful Post:
katana1150 (07-23-2009), SmokinTheHippies (07-23-2009)
Old 07-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Good point Dan

the truck is long out of warranty so the dealer will never see this truck.

I couldn't find any specs on the purolator fuel filter so I was hoping someone would chime in with suggestions.

Looks like it maybe a good idea to use a baldwin fuel filter instead.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I would change out the Purolator, if you have an extra Purolator keep it as a spare for emergency situation. The three best filters, that I would use are Baldwin, Fleetguard, and ACdelco. You are close to Cummins and they have deals all the time on service packs. Freightliner is open 24 hours a day, peterbuilt all on 96 th avenue.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 18 reviews
I can tell you that on my 07 dually I had I put a Purolator filter on out of necessity. The truck ran fine but my fuel pressure went up 1 point. That leads me to believe that it was not filtering as well as the factory ones. I get mine from Genos whenever I can....
04 Ram 2500,Green/Silver-305/555HO,48RE,3:73s, QC,LB,4x4,Roadwire Leather,Laramie Interior,Infinity, HE351 Turbo,Custom 4" Exhaust,VA C3.2,Westach gauges,Torque Tube,BeCool Fan,Fogzilla,TRM,4th Gen 18" Laramie Rims w/ stock 275-70 tires,78,000 miles
Dodgezilla is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpringle3@hotmail.com View Post
I would change out the Purolator, if you have an extra Purolator keep it as a spare for emergency situation. The three best filters, that I would use are Baldwin, Fleetguard, and ACdelco. You are close to Cummins and they have deals all the time on service packs. Freightliner is open 24 hours a day, peterbuilt all on 96 th avenue.
Thanks for the advice, I haven't installed the purolator fuel filter yet, I'll take your advice and keep it as an emergency spare. I'll go and get a baldwin from peterbuilt or acklands.

I also just found out the purolator oil filter L45335 is recomended for the cummins 5.9 ref:TSB 09-004-01

Last edited by katana1150; 07-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.
katana1150 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009, 04:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Before you use any fuel filter, find out it's filtration and F/W separation specs.

If it doesn't filter down to 7 microns or less (absolute, not nominal) and remove 95% of free and emulsified water, don't use it.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Has anyone got a Baldwin Part# that is recomended for this truck?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana1150 View Post
Has anyone got a Baldwin Part# that is recomended for this truck?
Would like to know this as well
milldog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Baldwin PF7977 fuel filter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wredneck Dually For This Useful Post:
katana1150 (07-27-2009)
Old 07-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

According to Dodge

Puralator is on the list and a good filter

The only approved oil filters for Dodge's diesel engine are as follows:
Part # Manufactuer
5083285AA Mopar
LF16035 Fleetguard Stratapore
LF3894 Fleetguard Stratapore
LF3972 Fleetguard Cellulose
LF3552 Fleetguard Microglas
LF3959 Fleetguard Cellulose
3937695 Cummins Cellulose
FL896 MotorCraft Cellulose
L45335 Purolator Cellulose
PF1070 AC Delco Cellulose

Note: To maintain your warranty please be sure you use one of the above filters when servicing your truck.

Pete
2004 Laramie, 4x4, QC, 48RE, 3.73, SRS, Molten Red, BFG 285s, xfer and fuel tank skid plates, Frontier back bumper, Cool Blue (removed), Moog greasables, Defiant sector plate, FASS-150, billet TC and performance VB w/Sonnex, Yaesu 2M and CB radios, Nav 1, Rokk sens.
xploretx is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Good list, BUT the only three filters I have ever personally seen, that had failures are motorcraft, purolator, and Cat made by Donaldson. Motorcraft filters, are the worst, no paper, if you ever have a low oil pressure problem, and you have a Motorcraft filter on it change the filter and problem is solved. Purolator the cans crack, seen that multiple times. Cat filters the secondaries have a tendency to twist internally, and plug off. Fram I try to avoid. Wix I will use. My top three are Baldwin, Fleet guard and ACDelco. You go with what you trust, and learn from experience.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.