2006 cummins overhaul.... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2006 cummins overhaul starting on pics....

Alright so i bought a 2006 cummins 6spd mega cab. The guy had the oil changed and the company forgot to tighten the oil filter. long in short it ended up spinning #6 connecting rod bearing and scoring up the cylinder. Also has engine oil in the intercooler tubes.

My question is what should i do while im rebuilding this thing? Moneys kinda a factor and i wanna keep it reliable.

Thanks alot,
Tyler

Last edited by cowboy568; 07-25-2009 at 07:50 PM.
cowboy568 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would have them put a motor in it for you. since it's there fault the motor blow up. I work at a shop and when someone forgets to put oil in the car or leaves a drain plug loose or filter they pay for it to be replaced.
hdcummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Yeah i ended up buying the pickup from the insurance company. They would have put a motor back in it with the same amount of miles but instead the guy just took the insurance money and walked away.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I think your best bet is just to buy a used motor with low miles and swap it in.
8mpg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

It might be ceaper to put a used low mileage one if from a salvage. They do alot of motor work on that show trucks, and it seems like gasser's run $2k and up to rebuild nicely. I can only imagine what a cummins would cost. Plus if you buy a used one you still have yours for salvageable parts.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

yeah but a used motor is around $5500 and an overhaul kit it $1900 without machining so i think im gunna rebuild it and basically have a new motor except for pumps and ect.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy568 View Post
yeah but a used motor is around $5500 and an overhaul kit it $1900 without machining so i think im gunna rebuild it and basically have a new motor except for pumps and ect.
Whats it going to cost to put the motor together?
8mpg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I would love to follow that build. Get a good camera, and take lots of pics!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I had a total rebuild done by a diesel shop. I had problems described in another thread. With all machining, pump replacements and what not, it ended up being around 8500. I had some performance/economy parts put in instead all stock too.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

sorry i haven't got pics taking it apart but if you guys would be interested i can try to get some pics after everything get back from the machine shop. As far as cost the overhaul kit with all bearings, pistons, gaskets, seals, new lube pump is $2000....boring out each cylinder .030 over $30 each.....machine the crank and plain the head i didn't price. assembly done myself. aftermarket parts might O-ring it with studs, cold air intake, Smarty, 5" turbo back exhaust and a turbo that i haven't decided on yet.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I would like to see the build pics
Old 07-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

K i will work on pics when i get everything back from the machine shop they are gunna balance everything for me also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.