Miss/smoke on cold start NOT injectors - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Miss/smoke on cold start NOT injectors

My truck seems to have a miss almost always with white smoke when it starts up with the engine cold. It doesn't do it every time but the majority of the time. Truck runs great and starts great warm.

Injectors are new. FCA is new and I tried a friends. Overflow valve is new, and I also tried swapping rail pressure sensors with a different truck. Fuel filter is relatively new. I've done several return test and get about 60ml of injector return and 700 pump return 1 min at idle, though I haven't checked it since doing the overflow valve. Pressure relief doesn't leak at idle or wot. No codes and about 8psi supply pressure. Also adjusted the valves fairly recently.

Any thoughts? This thing is really frustrating me.
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Sorry, but it sounds like you still have an injector acting up. Who did you get your injectors from?
1999 Camaro Z-28 - track ready
1967 Pontiac Firebird - LS2/t56 swap
lakelife79 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

bought them from the local fuel shop, any idea how to tell which one? If I pop them out and get them tested do you think it will show up on the bench?

Also I use Stanadyne performance formula in every tank.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT!

yes it will show up on a bench test, our injectors are electronic, so it can never hurt to have them flow tested, your getting the white smoke from an injector leaking down into the bowl, and possibly the miss from one not firing, etc... check the oil see if it has been diluted thin, and smells like diesel fuel...
2011 3500, stock, 2003 QCSB 4X4 5.9 6spd, Smarty, Valair, K&N, ARP, Topgun, Autometer, 5" Stacks, Smoked Recons, KMC wheels, Cooper 35X12.50's, With enough get up and go to piss off your granny! Blacked Out And Engineered By Southern Smoke, And Dark Side Diesel!

CLICK -------> GEORGIA CUMMINS CREW
SOUTHERN SMOKE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Well if you know someone with a scantool or dodge tech that has access to a starscan you could cut out one injector at a time to see if you notice one injector is making the truck run different. Other than that you probably will have to pull them and send them to be tested. Were they new or remans? I have had several sets of remans in my old truck and never had one set turn-out right.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Bosch reman so made in Brazil, I can get access to a DRB once and a while anything else to look for?

I'll check the oil.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Oil seemed fine. I switched back to my FCA and rail sensor today and decided to have another look at the relief and sure enough it is just pouring out at idle. It didn't before though the banjo was wet the first time I looked at it(after I did the injectors) but wasn't leaking at the time. I got a new one on the way if it doesn't fix it I pulling the injectors, getting them tested and checking the compression.

So are dodges really this ****ty? I have only owned mine for 3 months and it only has 80,000kms(about 50,000miles) on it and I have spent by far more on repairs then any other vehicle I have owned. Everything but the overflow was justified. I am sick of it.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i got the same problem to. and cant figure it out at all. i hope it isnt injectors
Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Well some of them are money pits. Just like anything else there are some bad ones. I had an 06 that was a pain in my butt and spent lots of money on it. Had three sets of injectors in it and then sold it. I bought it used with 17k on it. I am weary of used trucks now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.