Upgrade from a 47RE to a 48RE or a 68RFE - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade from a 47RE to a 48RE or a 68RFE

I have a 47RE in my truck now, stock. whats a better upgrade a 48re or a 68rfe? on either transmission what would have to be done to get them to talk with the 5.9? and would the 68rfe even bolt up to the 5.9? last question where can i get good indepth info on both of those transmissions?
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Here to learn

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
The 68fre won't work. It would bolt up, but you'd need new driveshafts, transfer case input, crossmember, and nobody has come up with a stand alone controller for it yet. Why don't you just keep your 47re and improve it?
Previously family owned Cummins - 2001, 2007, 2009
Bigrok is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
CF Administration

Thanked 1,286 Times in 765 Posts
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrok View Post
The 68fre won't work. It would bolt up, but you'd need new driveshafts, transfer case input, crossmember, and nobody has come up with a stand alone controller for it yet. Why don't you just keep your 47re and improve it?
plus you cant build up a 68rfe really when the 48re can be made bullet proof
-Nic - Idaho Oil Burners President Idaho Chapter 2009/ 3500/ Laramie/ Mega Cab/ Electric Blue/ Blackmaxx MCC tuned/ATS Stage 6 48re/ TS Mp8/ 5" Tbe With 8" Stack/ 66-74-14/ Pdi manifold/ 50% over nozzles/ H&S Intake Horn And Boost Tube/ Afe stage 2 CAI/ Stage 1 Cp3/ GDP Maximizer Kit/ Shaved,Flycut,Coated Pistons/ A1-H11 Headstuds/ GDP CCV Kit/ 8" Lift/ 37" Toyos. 648 hp 1351 tq uncorrected
1996 12v 2.8 puller "dominate this"
R.I.P. Tucker
kmkdiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

hey thanks for the info. what can i do with my transmission to make it better? i like the tow/haul feature of the 48re
Old 05-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I can't wait till they find a way to retrofit a 68rfe, when my stocker goes that is the way I want to go, for the extra gears!

2008 Sterling Acterra TwinCab (The Beast) - 8.3L CTD W/Allison 3200
AEmedic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Bulletproof 48RE

How do I bulletproof my 48RE transmission?
It is a 2007 and I don't know if I should even go for it.
It seems to be working okay, but I get a vibration when I tow uphill.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
albert
chefbutthead is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Smells like Bananas

Thanked 1,463 Times in 817 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateWKTM300 View Post
I have a 47RE in my truck now, stock. whats a better upgrade a 48re or a 68rfe? on either transmission what would have to be done to get them to talk with the 5.9? and would the 68rfe even bolt up to the 5.9? last question where can i get good indepth info on both of those transmissions?
This is coming from a 6.7 guy. Don't even think about a 68RFE, Even if it did work that would be a stupid idea. The strongest built tranny on the road is a 48RE. Theres even one or two really fast Duramaxes running a 48re behind it.

There is nobody building a 68rfe that is proven beyond about 550hp.

There is nothing wrong with a 47RE, basically the same thing as a 48. You have a great tranny, talk to Goerend or Jeff Garmon.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Want to upgrade my 46RH to 48RE, any ECU solutions out there?

Is there a control unit for this upgrade that can be setup, how can I control a 47RE's electronic governor, I think I can run the over drive with my ECU from my 46RH but the electronic governor? The 48RE is all electronic including the shifts 123 so unless there is a stand alone ecu I can get there is no way to work the 48RE, the 47RE with the hydralic 123 and OD is possible if I can handle the lockup and the governor??

I called Goerend a number of times wanting to buy a new 48RE trans for my application but they never called me back so I guess they don't want to sell me one for my 1975 classic dodge with 1992 Cummins Drive line, 2wd with 46RH. I wanted to buy it from them but they don't seem to want to sell one to me with my 12 valve 1992.

Some of you will remember my project;
Diesel World Magazine Article on the 1975 D200 Club Cab & Road Trip to Vegas Shoot

I have put 45,000 miles on it since I put it together back in 2006 and my 46RH has 300,000 miles on it now still factory sealed so I want to upgrade it before it fails on my on a long road trip. I would like the 48RE so I can install an exhaust brake and save my brakes on my unit. Since I built the truck I have upgraded the camper to a 11.8 foot Lance and I pull a car trailer as well see picture.

Any of you that can help me please respond or email me at reg_r@me.com. I own a race car shop in Canada and we do all kinds of software and ecu stuff but I would sooner not re-invent the wheel if some of you have already done this.

Thanks in advance.

Reg
/
RCTS is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateWKTM300 View Post
hey thanks for the info. what can i do with my transmission to make it better? i like the tow/haul feature of the 48re
The TH features of the 48RE are in the software not the transmission, all you will have is what you truck has.

Do a search here for trans upgrades and you will get tons of reading. We have beat this subject to death in the last 6 months or so. Lot of info and advice available.

1992 D250 47RH Built pump 370 Marine Tips
cerberusiam is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I am a tranny dyno tech and let me tell you the 48re will run laps around that hunk of crap 68rfe. And i can print pressure sheets to prove it.
zsoccerdude17 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsoccerdude17 View Post
I am a tranny dyno tech and let me tell you the 48re will run laps around that hunk of crap 68rfe. And i can print pressure sheets to prove it.
Now before you sell that "hunk of crap" short JUST how many hours do you have acutally driving with it and using it? There is a HUGE difference between a 3 speed trans with an add-on OD and a purpose built 6-speed 3-planetary transmission. They do not, and should not, react the same way nor need the same tweaks. Apples to oranges here. There is an even larger discrepency in reading numbers on a dyno and a practical application.

Pressure charts are great but are useless without some refernece point, specifically surface area the pressure is applying to. Just because pressures are lower does not mean its bad, holding force is defined as pressure times area. If you increase area you get the same result as pressure increases. How about timing comparisons in shifting with these pressures? Slippage percents? Are the units built the same way?

A 6 spped auto is never going to shift like a 727 base transmission, period. A whole different approach in these cases. However, a good 6 speed transmission with a competent controller will run away and hide from ANY 48RE in many cases. THAT is what most of us look for in this swap.

1992 D250 47RH Built pump 370 Marine Tips
cerberusiam is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

For some the people on here like to drive and tow there trailors not see how fast you can do the 1/4 on a strip. I have been trying hard to get a stand alone controler for the 68RFE and they have not come up with one as of yet. If you dont have the hole truck to swap it over and I mean everthing it be hard to get it to run right. There are company out there that build cans that could be wired and programed for that trany. The problem is money and time. I think if someone did do it they have a nice item for sale. To put the 68RFE the pilot on the converter is almost 3/8 inch bigger than the 5.9. I dont think that would be to hard to fix but if you go all electronic is there a chance of it going into reverse unstead of 6th gear at 70 mph or is that just crazy talk. you guys racing the allison 4000 or 3000 have double over drive and rated over 60,000 lbs but they are fat and 200 lbs heaver.
swell61 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.