AAM Rear Axle - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
AAM Rear Axle

I have the 11.75 LSD unit in my truck, and I've had some of the same issues as others here. Ever so often it will shudder on takeoff, especially on a left turn taking off. I bought this truck with 60,000 miles on it, and the shudder has actually gone away for the most part. But since day one that I have had the truck, this differential has whined under light load/acceleration. In the summer I run with my windows down most of the time, but now in the winter the whine gets to me sometimes. After about 63 mph it isn't very noticeable, but the men in blue don't underatand this in 35 mph zones. So has anyone been able to muffle this thing, or should I take the silencer ring out of my turbo and let them battle it out?
Also, how loud is the turbo without the silencer?
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I have that same axle, and was told not to put the addative in the rear end. Mine hops around the corner as well occasionally. I would consider it normal, as every single LSD I have ever had has done this. I would be interested in what others have to say about the addative being put in the rear. As for the silencer....... WOW, TAKE IT OUT! Thing sounds CraZy paired with an intake. People turn and look at me when I come down the street!

ItZ coooool

Chad
PULN PWR is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Try the simple things first-does your fluid need to be changed? Is it low, or overfilled? Wrong fluid? Then go from there.
D-Roc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

New fliud and some posts on other sites about having to use additive.I have put additive in mine over a severe shudder after extended towing and on left turns.So far its ok but I have not towed heavy the few hundered miles it took for mine to show up.
2003 3500 dually 4x4,nv5600 4.10 geared Amsoil fliuds front to back.AFE Pro Guard 7 stage 1,Banks full 4 inch exhaust from turbo back,Westach EGT&Boost pillar mount combo gauge,Maap chrome side steps,Kirby condenser guard,Rokktech crank sensor mod.
Ketchum is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere that dodge did a TSB on vehicle shudder at low speeds I think under 35 mph You might want to check that if under warrranty still??? The dealer has to check the driveshaft angles and maybe install a space in the carrier bearing??
rpainter is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 03:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

There is a TSB on this.This is not what I had happen nor some of the others I found threads on.My shudder occurs AFTER a FEW HUNDRED miles of towing 9k and after cool down goes away.Its not a u/joint.Its the posi system binding.It also started the shudder on left turns unloaded and not towing.
2003 3500 dually 4x4,nv5600 4.10 geared Amsoil fliuds front to back.AFE Pro Guard 7 stage 1,Banks full 4 inch exhaust from turbo back,Westach EGT&Boost pillar mount combo gauge,Maap chrome side steps,Kirby condenser guard,Rokktech crank sensor mod.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Every truck that i have owned over the last 6 years has shuddered occasionally in left turns, and they have all done it.

Chad
Old 01-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Mine didn't until my 800 mile trip towing 9k or so.Then it started it on left turns unloaded/non towing etc. The diff fliud had about 10k on it. I added the posi additive I bought at a auto parts store and the shudder went away.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Guys, the AAM axle is NOT a clutch type LSD that requires additive. It's a helical gear unit, much like a Torsen or TrueTrack unit. An LSD additive is used to alter the way the clutches react, and is not needed in the AAM axles, since htey have no clutches.

There are some pictures of a Torsen here:
http://www.torsen.com/files/Traction...ol_Article.pdf

I haven't tried to find pics of the Dodge AAM LSD, but they might be out there somewhere.

As far as the whine you are hearing, a lot of '03 AAM axles were replaced due to improper setup. My '03 whined BAD, and it did not have an LSD unit. With 60,000 miles on it, you probably should have taken it to the dealership, because the rear axle was covered under warranty until 70,000 miles.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Mine only shuddered on a left take off, no load, after the truck had been driven for a few miles. I haven't towed anything in a while and the shuddering has nearly gone away. But my biggest gripe is the whine. I'm blaming the differential, because that is where the whine seems to come from, from 40mph to about 63mph. It doesn't seem to have any excess play in it, and temperature doesn't seem to affect it. One night on a trip home it was really getting on my nerves for some reason. I threatened to put sawdust in it. What happened to the good ol' days when the differential was the only thing on a vehicle you never had to work on, and never thought about?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I did a diff fluid change awhile back and noticed something in the diff. I took the truck to Dodge and had them look at it to see if it was normal. It was to 3 dealerships and they all say that it is normal. If you look at the pics, it appears as though there are gears wearing through the diff carrier, but as I said, they all said it was normal machining. I even went to head office, and they replied with normal. The rear end is quiet, but hops occasionally around corners, which I consider to be normal, as every truck I have owned has done it.

Chad
P.S. This is an AAM 11.75" rear end
Attached Thumbnails
AAM Rear Axle-rear_end__2_2.jpg   AAM Rear Axle-rear_end__6_.jpg   AAM Rear Axle-rear_end__11_.jpg  
Old 01-26-2007, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I'm fully aware its not a clutch type differantial.But some have a severe shudder issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.