when do u know when INJECTORS ARE BAD - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation when do u know when INJECTORS ARE BAD

just wonderin?? when do injectors go bad?? what are the signs i should be lookin for??? also what bout nozzles when do u know when they go out any ideas would really take some weight off my shoulders oh by the way my rig has 157,000+ THANKS
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Excessive Smoke
Fuel in oil
Hard starting
Crappy fuel mileage

...that's about all I can think of right now.
rocket is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Just had two injectors replaced. This is what it looked like every morning before the repair. I also had a situation a couple weeks ago where the truck would not start. I'm assuming that one of the injectors was leaking enough to drain the rail pressure to a point where it would not fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=munF-hEWApw

Last edited by 65StangBoy; 04-30-2009 at 11:09 PM.
65StangBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

you can also hear a slight change in the engine tone
FOR SALE- 2010 mega cab long bed 4x4 6.7 Ctd, at Laramie. B&W hitch. Line-x box/rockers. mag hytec front/rear, Amsoil front to back, bds 8in long arm kit afe stage 2, smarty tuner, lightforce lights, piaa lights. Thanks to Northwoods service for all the help.
jr22 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 06:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

What about a louder rattle when the mp8 is turned up?
Old 05-01-2009, 06:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

huh, my 96 was like that when it was bone azz cold this winter but doesnt do it when warmer out (+5*f). is that normal for a 12 valve or should i get a set of injectors?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Your 12valve should be fine. Every 12 valve ive ever drove made a different sound and they sound like crap when its cold out and they clean up nice once they warm up. They can be a little cold blooded tho. I think your good on the injectors tho.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Some-Sho Some-Go

I have seen them make trucks idle really ruff and smoke blue/gray. You should throw a code if injector is going out.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.R.D View Post
I have seen them make trucks idle really ruff and smoke blue/gray. You should throw a code if injector is going out.
have had a couple trucks at work with bad injectors and no cel,
FOR SALE- 2010 mega cab long bed 4x4 6.7 Ctd, at Laramie. B&W hitch. Line-x box/rockers. mag hytec front/rear, Amsoil front to back, bds 8in long arm kit afe stage 2, smarty tuner, lightforce lights, piaa lights. Thanks to Northwoods service for all the help.
jr22 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR

Hard Starting (Hot or Cold)
Leaking diesel into you oil
Blue/White smoke at idle
Excessive Black smoke under load (Depending if Stock)
Rough running at idle
Poor fuel mileage

Injectors only have a life span of about 160,000 miles. I'm not saying they will all pack it in on this exact mileage but the nozzles and ball seats will be warn to the point at which they should be replaced. In the past truckers would change out there mechanical injector as routine maintenance to prevent engine damage and bring their mileage back up. It's only recently with electronic injectors that people only replace one at a time. A big reason for this is cost. No one wants to spend the money to replace a set of injector as preventative maintenance.

Remember computers do a very good job of compensating for bad injectors.
Freeride202 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

My 04 knocks and i was told i could have a cracked injector.
ChrBro is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

What about this rattle? Rattle with light throttle starts around 1500 rpm. Heavier throttle rattle with go away. No throttle(coasting) there is not rattle. Rattle is coming from drivers side or at least sounds like it. If I hold throttle so it rattles and turn the mp8 up the rattle will get louder. I am running out ideas so I think I will send the injectors off to get checked. Do you guys have any other ideas?
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.