Fuel Filter Change.... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Filter Change....

Im wondering how often you guys change the fuel filter and is it something that can be done fairly easy... Ive heard some trucks have the filter in the tank.. is that true for the 03-07 5.9s ?

Thanks and excuse my ignorance

Sam
08 Ram 3500 6.7l DRW 4wd QC LB g56 - Anarchy EFI Lvl 2, Edge CTS, AFE Pro dry s5, Flow-Pro DPF delete, Sinister EGR delete, Glacier Mega flow S3, ARP 425 studs, new clutch, 33" BFG KM2s, Bilstein 5100s
thehuskybear is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I dont own a cummins but from reading on here and from what a buddy of mines does its real easy. The filter is in the engine compartment. And he changes his every other oil change.
abe568 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

the reason I ask is from what Im used too, a fuel filter is usually changed every 15-30k... and Im right up next to 30k.. plus, lately it seems like my mileage is slowly getting a little worse (instead of better now that Im getting used to the smarty! lol)
08 Ram 3500 6.7l DRW 4wd QC LB g56 - Anarchy EFI Lvl 2, Edge CTS, AFE Pro dry s5, Flow-Pro DPF delete, Sinister EGR delete, Glacier Mega flow S3, ARP 425 studs, new clutch, 33" BFG KM2s, Bilstein 5100s
Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Only in a HEMI

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,030 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
15-30k is to long. IMO, 10k max. For the cost and ease of install, it's cheap protection for your fuel system.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

the fuel filter is on the right side of the engine (when lookin from the front) put a pan under ur truck and turn the yellow knob to drain the fuel, then just wrench it off, pop the new one on, close the drain valve and ur good to go. takes less than 10 mins
Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Yes it's easy, and, change more often. Baldwin PF7977 filters best.
JDiepstra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Because of the price I change mine every oil change better to be safe, and really easy to do as long as you have the right dang wrench or socket
Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhdodge View Post
Because of the price I change mine every oil change better to be safe, and really easy to do as long as you have the right dang wrench or socket
I hand tighten......... so far so good!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Thanks guys... probably a question I should asked earlier! lol I think I will start doing it every oil change... now as far a filters.. wheres the best place to get em?

Thanks

Sam
Old 04-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

the dirtier the fuel filter gets the better it filters. install a gauge to the cp3 you will have about 7 psi only change the filter when the pressure drops to about 2 psi, at this point it is filtering twice as good as it did when new most of our equipment have gauges from the factory with red and green stripes on them to show when to change. we have 138 pieces that have diesel engines in them and a fleet of dodge's we do our own maintenance and some of our dodges are close or over 1,000,000 miles and some of the class 8 trucks have 3-4 million mile on them. both the fuel filter and air filter are to be changed this way.
063500dually4X4qcg56,dynatrac,bd exhaust brake,donaldson m090535muffler,cfm+,winspeed spacer,smartyjr,taylor wings,luberfiner bypass filter,psm cold air,cool hose,tag,air tab's,pdr cam,ddp50hp injectors,htt 62 65 13ss,ss manifold, turbo and manifold blankets
carl48 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Some could argue that 2 psi is a little low and could be doing more harm that way than any benifit that could be seen by running a dirty filter, which may filter better.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehuskybear View Post
Thanks guys... probably a question I should asked earlier! lol I think I will start doing it every oil change... now as far a filters.. wheres the best place to get em?

Thanks

Sam
According to the manual the fuel filter should be changed every 15k miles. When I was running just my stock fuel filter I changed mine every 7,500 miles with a PF7977. A little over kill but injectors are not cheap. I get my filters from a local truck shop or from Cummins Northeast.

Gone:
04.5 Ram 2500 Reg Cab 48re 205k miles
Cat fuel filter
rufushusky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.