Does idling in park for long periods of time overheat the transmission? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Does idling in park for long periods of time overheat the transmission?

I heard on here somewhere that our automatic transmissions don't circulate the fluid through the cooler when idling in park and it can cause the fluid to burn. It only circulates in neutral. Is this true? Will my tranny burn the fluid if idled in park too long? Will the truck still log idle time if I leave it in neutral?
2007.5 2500 White SLT quad cab 6.7 liter totally stock. Is the CEL supposed to stay on? 34,000 miles. 2nd stock turbo. white 3.73 rear differential ratio. J35 recall. 2 wheel drive. Plan on a DPF and EGR delete when I come up with the $$$$.
2007 cummins 6.7 liter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I put my truck in neutral and firmly set the parking brake whenever I let it idle for any extended time.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Do I really need to put it in neutral or is this just a bunch of BS.
2007.5 2500 White SLT quad cab 6.7 liter totally stock. Is the CEL supposed to stay on? 34,000 miles. 2nd stock turbo. white 3.73 rear differential ratio. J35 recall. 2 wheel drive. Plan on a DPF and EGR delete when I come up with the $$$$.
2007 cummins 6.7 liter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am on the fourth transmission now and the transmission shop told me that is part of the problem. Prolonged idleing in park. There are two replacement releif valves that will allow fluid to flow when in park.
blondedog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

idling your truck isn't good for it anyway, on the 5.9 you can get cylinder wash, more than likely it applies to all ctd common rails. there are fast idle features available if not factory equipped.

i wouldnt worry about your tranny building heat because your idling in park. when towing heavy or working truck hard i idle to cool turbo with tranny in nuetral so it circulates and cools before shutting down.

Last edited by ynots57; 03-22-2009 at 08:26 PM.
ynots57 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Yes it will overheat. I notice my tranny even gets hot in stop/go traffic(I hate driving it in the city). A gauge is a good idea, drop it in neutral and it will slowly kool off.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

The tranny doesn't circulate any oil at all in park. Any extended idleing should be done in nuetral. Or get your tranny worked over so it pumps all the time. Dodge has done this since day just about one and it's the worst thing for a tranny..............SRXtreme
03 RAM 3500 Laramie HO 6 speed 4X4 Edge J/A hot beta,Custom Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter. Gutted torque tube, Silencer ring MIA. SB DD 3600. Autometer FP/RP.Carter GP4601HP Yamahauler BABY!! EFI Live someday.
SRXtreme is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
CF Chapter President

what about warming up (when starting) and cooling down (when shutting off)?

do you guys just idle in N for 3-5 mins? And is this O.K.? Cause thats what I've been doing since i got my license exactly 3 weeks ago .

1997 4x4 5 speed Valair DD, boost, fuel psi, and EGT gauges, 5" str8 pipe, AFE intake, 191's, 4k's, fuel plate? , Jkidd hybrid turbo 35/40
cumminspower2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminspower2 View Post
what about warming up (when starting) and cooling down (when shutting off)?

do you guys just idle in N for 3-5 mins? And is this O.K.? Cause thats what I've been doing since i got my license exactly 3 weeks ago .
When warming it up for a few minutes leaving it in park is fine, same with cooling it off. After a good drive I'll let it idle down maybe a minute or so, or until my egts hit about 300dg, park is fine for this too as your not idling it down for an extended period of time(this would just be wasting fuel)
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I have never noticed this to be an issue at all. I do have an HTS Valvebody, maybe it makes a difference? I have a tranny gauge and my tranny never goes above 210 even when snowplowing...... On Amsoil fluids, I'm not worried about those temps at all.
JDiepstra is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 cummins 6.7 liter View Post
I heard on here somewhere that our automatic transmissions don't circulate the fluid through the cooler when idling in park and it can cause the fluid to burn. It only circulates in neutral. Is this true? Will my tranny burn the fluid if idled in park too long? Will the truck still log idle time if I leave it in neutral?
Yes, a stock trans does NOT circulate fluid in park. There is less than a pint of fluid in the pump gears and that is all the the lube and cooling the pump and TC hub has in park. Needless to say a long time idling is going to cuase issues there. So, no its a load of BS.

Yes, the truck will log idle time as long as the rpm's are under 1100.

Circulating in park can be achieved either wih a shift kit, or the swapping of one valve in the VB. Pretty cheap insurance either way you go.

1992 D250 47RH Built pump 370 Marine Tips
cerberusiam is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

what is considered long ilding and if you and a shift kit or swap a valve body iam guessing no factory warranty i just bought my 1st diesel and its still under warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.