How many gallons - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How many gallons

On Saturday I hit reserve on my 06 2500. Because there were no "good" diesel around, I had to wait. Finally, with overhead showing 32 miles left I filled her up. 34.6 gallons. Looking at the specs of 06 2500 it tells me that I have 34 gal. tank.
Am I missing something? Assuming that the overhead is somewhat accurate I had about 1-2 gallons left in the tank. That plus 34.6 will give me total of 35.6-36.6.

So, does anyone know how big are those things?:fist:
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

short bed = 34 gal
long bed = 35 gal

You can pump more in than the tank is rated at. I can pump around 39 gal into my 35 gal tank.

To me the 06 MPG computer seems a bit more accurate than the previous ones. I know when my gauge is on E and my DTE is at 0 I can pretty much go another 60-70 miles or so without pushing it. I tried this on JMalone's 06 (making it easier to drop the tank to do the vent mod)...we lost. That thing said we could go 30 more miles and it wasn't lying. At 32 miles it ran dry and died...was real fun getting it going again.
'03 3500 QC 4X4 6spd 3.73 LWB SRW - 37" Toyo MTs, H2 rims, ISSPRO Gauges, Bully Dog Power Pup, Edge EZ, AEM intake, 4" pipe, Carli suspension, Thuren track bar and crossover steering, DSS steering brace, DT Pro Fab control arms, BD short shift, Ranch Hand Bully Nose, fuel tank vent
njmaier is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

EXACTLY what njmaier said!!! The '06 DTE reading is pretty much right on... You don't wanna test it!
'06 2500 Big Horn SLT 4x4 QC SWB Auto - Mineral Gray 315/70/17 BFG ATs, 2" Leveling Kit, AEM Brute Force, 5100 Bilsteins, Fuel Tank Vent Mod, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Silencer Ring & Muffler MIA, Xtreme Liner,Tough Country Bumpers, Mopar Rear Well Liners and some other stuff...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ROTM - Feb. 2007
JMalone is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Only in a HEMI

Thanked 1,486 Times in 1,031 Posts
iTrader Score: 13 reviews
How Many Gallon's, You just about found out for sure.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

How many gallons? I honestly couldn't tell you an exact amount. We bought five gallons of diesel, poured some in the tank, didn't start, poured some more in the tank, didn't start, decided that we needed to pour some in the fuel filter, spilled some doing that... put the rest in the tank. And we went and filled it up when we got done and I honestly can't remember how much I put in it at that point. I'd say it's somewhere around 37-38 total gallons, but don't hold me to that.
'06 2500 Big Horn SLT 4x4 QC SWB Auto - Mineral Gray 315/70/17 BFG ATs, 2" Leveling Kit, AEM Brute Force, 5100 Bilsteins, Fuel Tank Vent Mod, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Silencer Ring & Muffler MIA, Xtreme Liner,Tough Country Bumpers, Mopar Rear Well Liners and some other stuff...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ROTM - Feb. 2007
Old 01-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Great, good to know. 38 gallons sounds good....
Old 01-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

We got a 5 gal jug...poured all that into the filter and tank. Went to the pump and crammed about 34 gallons in.
'03 3500 QC 4X4 6spd 3.73 LWB SRW - 37" Toyo MTs, H2 rims, ISSPRO Gauges, Bully Dog Power Pup, Edge EZ, AEM intake, 4" pipe, Carli suspension, Thuren track bar and crossover steering, DSS steering brace, DT Pro Fab control arms, BD short shift, Ranch Hand Bully Nose, fuel tank vent
njmaier is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Former Staff Member

I've run mine to where the DTE says 0, then driven another 80 miles
'04 Patriot Blue SRW 3500 QC 4X4 Laramie, 6spd, HO, Edge EZ, TST PowerMAXCR, Smarty, SPS 66, Rip's 4", AFE PG7 W/torque tube, FASS 150, Superlift leveling kit, Ride Rite's w/onboard air, Line-X. Torklift camper tie downs, fuel vent mod, CB, GPSmap 168, Buckstop/Warn 12,000 lb, KC Daylighters, MTL w/prolong in trans, Haisley DD, DiPricol gauges and Quad Commander. 77K
513/1043 Fast Specialties DDD 4-15-2006 TST-EZ stack, Quickest 1/4 mile ET 13.949 @ 96 MPH @ PIR

Hauls Lance "Lite" 1025 @4klbs
Wifes truck '98 Intense Blue 12V QC LB 4X4 Auto
MR4WLR is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmaier View Post
We got a 5 gal jug...poured all that into the filter and tank. Went to the pump and crammed about 34 gallons in.
Your memory's better than mine
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ROTM - Feb. 2007
Old 01-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

On my 06 when I get to about 30 miles DTE it says "Lo Fuel" and when I get to that point I can easily put 36.5 to 37 gallons in a 34 gallon tank. Scotty
Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

On the 34 gallon tanks, when you hit your reserve (fuel light on, 30 miles DTE,) you have an extra 10% of your total tank capacity. Or I should say, that your reserve, is once your light comes on, you have 3.4 gallons left after your 34 normal gallons.

I hope that made sense, other wise I'll go type it straight out of my owner's manual LOL.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

well I have put 40.2 gallons in my 35 gallon tank and she was still running!! But on the other hand it said 0 miles to go about 60 miles before I put any in.. I would not trust it to be that accurate though.. I was on my way to phoenix this last summer and when the light came on I was about 5 miles from the next exit that I knew had a truck stop. I ran out just before the off ramp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.