03 cummins hard starting - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
03 cummins hard starting

I recently purchased an 03 ram cummins that won't start if it is cold. It will start at around 50 degrees but it cranks a few seconds. If it is colder than that it won't even attempt to fire unless I plug in the block heater. I replaced the crank position sensor and the coolant temp sensor because they had set a couple of codes, but they didn't help. It has new batteries and sounds like it is cranking plenty fast. It doesn't make any white smoke when it is cranking and when it does start the exhaust is clear instantly. I have voltage to the intake heat grid but I'm not sure it is working well enough because the manifold gets warm, but not hot to the touch. How hot should it get? The intake heater cycles for 10-15 seconds when cold. The fuel pump will run for 25 seconds if I bump the key, but even cycling the pump and the intake heater make no difference. I replaced the fuel filter, no difference. It got very cold (-10) about three days ago and the truck hasn't started since, even after being plugged in and a small heater blowing on the engine. My work truck is a Duramax and it started when it was that cold and both trucks run the same treated fuel. The truck has 103,000 miles, gets 18-20 mpg and runs great if the thing will just start, any ideas?! IAT sensor or MAP sensor maybe? Where can I find good troubleshooting info? Please help!! -Alan
alanp970 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Can you hear the lift pump running? When you first turn the key on? Fuel may be gelling or just a weak lift pump may be having a hard time pushing the thick fuel. FP when running?

These trucks should start way into the cold numbers. Mine would start every morning no proble in WA when its was 28-30 overnight.

I also use sythetic oil, which makes cold starts much easier due to the lower pour point. Cold temp flow is much better.

Do you have #2 in the tank or #1 or a winter blend?
Old 12-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes the fuel pump is running. I read somewhere that if you just bump the key to make it crank the fuel pump will run for 25 seconds, and it does this. If I just turn the key on like normal it runs a few seconds. I am running treated winter fuel. I tried opening the fuel filter drain valve and then bumped the ignition and it pumped a bunch of fuel out very quickly. It seems good but I haven't tried an actual pressure test, I am having trouble finding specs. The truck has the same starting problem at temperatures way above the point of fuel gelling. I originally thought it was a fuel problem until I tried the block heater and it made a big difference, but plugging it in at 50 degrees isn't a good option. Really at that temp it should start even without the intake grid. I would suspect low compression, but the truck runs so good, when it runs, that I really don't think it's a problem, but I won't know for sure unless I run a compression test. I read some other posts about having the computer "flashed" for hard starting problems, maybe thats what I need.
alanp970 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.