why do people idle their diesels for long periods of time? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Powertrain
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
why do people idle their diesels for long periods of time?

I always see people who just leave their trucks idling even when they are not in it. sometimes they leave them running for up to half an hour. Why is this?
I thought idling was bad for the engine.
2007.5 2500 White SLT quad cab 6.7 liter totally stock. Is the CEL supposed to stay on? 34,000 miles. 2nd stock turbo. white 3.73 rear differential ratio. J35 recall. 2 wheel drive. Plan on a DPF and EGR delete when I come up with the $$$$.
2007 cummins 6.7 liter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Idling in park is bad for these trucks because the trans doesnt flow fluid in park, at least the 47re doesnt. u would think that dodge would have fixed that by the time they got to ur year, i dunno. but either way if the trans isnt flowing fluid it is heating up which we all know what heat does to things. thats the only negative reason i can think of for leaving it idling. im pretty sure there really isnt anything that will happen to the motor itself if u leave it idling.
-Billy 02 QC Dually 4" SJ susp 285 BFG MT's, CFM intake manifold, S&B intake, 100hp FBD Injectors, 4" turbo back straight pipe, quad. Xzillaraider, goerend triple disk TC, Billet input shaft, Raptor 100GPH pump
02bbcummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
most of the time i leave mine running is because im just going to do a quick in and out of a store, and sometimes you get caught up with something making me leave it running longer then i originally wanted.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Junkie

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Cylinder wash is another reason to not let it idle to long.
Even if I'm just running into the post office for a few min's I set the high idle.

2010 3500 C&C 4X4 ;EBY Built Flatbed ;H&S Black Maxx; DPF/EGR Delete; S&B CAI;South Bend CAISDD3600-GK,

Ohio Coal Rollers
Cumminsforum.com
TVtruck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i dont have high idle or i would do that. every store i go into around here i leave the truck running. no more than 10min though
05 3500 QC LB SBC DD 3250| ISSPRO fuel/EGT/Boost| S-06 TNT-R| DDP50's| II BOP| AD100| S&B Elbow & CAI| II Silver 62| PDI 2Pc.| 5"TBE/51" Donaldson| Procomp| Hellwig| T-REX Flatbed/Steps| Thx to ALGTR PERF & DDP
R_Zachs is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I have heard that it takes as much fuel to start a diesel as it does to just leave it idling for like 10 minutes.
So I can see why people leave them running when they go into a convenience store but I see people running them for hours on end. Is it hard on a diesel to start it up?
2007.5 2500 White SLT quad cab 6.7 liter totally stock. Is the CEL supposed to stay on? 34,000 miles. 2nd stock turbo. white 3.73 rear differential ratio. J35 recall. 2 wheel drive. Plan on a DPF and EGR delete when I come up with the $$$$.
2007 cummins 6.7 liter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Some People think cuz it is a diesel they need to let it idle all the time.
Honestly the 12v are really the only ones that should be left at an idle for a long time
smokedrail is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

High Idle is bad. Idle is worse. Unless you are trying to stay warm/cool there is no reeason to idle other than turbo cool off. Leading cause of premature head gassket failure in a caterpillar is excesive idle.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I forgot about wash down. i wouldnt worry a whole lot about wash down tho unless u got aftermarket injectors. stock injectors spray pattern is pretty much the best around so u will be less likely to get wash down then with any other kind.
-Billy 02 QC Dually 4" SJ susp 285 BFG MT's, CFM intake manifold, S&B intake, 100hp FBD Injectors, 4" turbo back straight pipe, quad. Xzillaraider, goerend triple disk TC, Billet input shaft, Raptor 100GPH pump
Old 01-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooimanj View Post
High Idle is bad. Idle is worse. Unless you are trying to stay warm/cool there is no reeason to idle other than turbo cool off. Leading cause of premature head gassket failure in a caterpillar is excesive idle.
what is the difference between high idle and running down the high way at 65... now, i know u r making boost at highway speed which would be harder on the heads, but ur running higher rpms then just idling at 1500 rpms. im just not buying that idling hurts ur motor when ur stressing it less then actual driving conditions... help me understand
Old 01-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

if idling hurts why would they sell a truck that idles? i myself havent had any problems with any of my personal trucks or work trucks because of idling. i think its the way you run it. if your hard on it, it will go down. ol' lady driver will make it last longer unless there is a defective part.
05 3500 QC LB SBC DD 3250| ISSPRO fuel/EGT/Boost| S-06 TNT-R| DDP50's| II BOP| AD100| S&B Elbow & CAI| II Silver 62| PDI 2Pc.| 5"TBE/51" Donaldson| Procomp| Hellwig| T-REX Flatbed/Steps| Thx to ALGTR PERF & DDP
R_Zachs is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mmm...HELLCAT!!!

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooimanj View Post
How so?? Please explain...I dont see how idleing, especially high idle, will damage a head gasket...? Ive heard the cylinder wash argument, but thats what high idles for...

I idle mine all the time. Start it up, let it run a bit to let some oil run through it, hit high idle, let it warm up, and go. I always let the engine/trans warm up before I drive it. And since I have a built trans, fluid flows in Park. I dont like the thought of using full power on a cold engine; since I get on the interstate almost immediately, I use all (or much of) the available power within 30-45 seconds of leaving my place...

And I let it run filling up. Let it run if Im making a quick stop at the store. Occasionally I space it out and it runs longer (it ran for over an hour last night before I left work; got busy wrapping up from a job and forgot about it. Sure was warm when I got in it!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common View Post
Why would you buy a Hellcat for road trips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorSmokPls View Post
Because you can
MoparProud is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.