Cummins Diesel Forum banner

crazy carl's twin turbo kit

31K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  cumminswelder05 
#1 ·
Hey guys ive been a lurker on the site for about 3 years now, and since we have to have 50 post and be a member now to look at classified I figured what better time to sign up. So I guess I should start of by listing my truck and what my plan is for the truck. I have 05.5 qcsb g56, south bend single disk(I think its the organic/ceramic), raptor 150 with big line kit, arson stage 3 kit, s&b intake, ats horn, mbrp 5 in, isspro egt, boost, lift pump, and rail, smarty s06 with boost fooler, 8 in lift with 24x12 rockstars on 38's.

I guess the kit im looking at is the crazy carl stock over s475 or just get the piping kit and buy the s475 off ebay since you can find them around 700 dollars. I would save some money that way. I would then probably get studs or injectors, plan on doing either 120-150's but probably 150's incase I ever upgrade the stock turbo. I also will keep the boost at what it is now until I have studs, injectors, and clutch.. I know you guys always say do air before fuel but I was also thinking if I did the twin kit first it will make me get everything else a lot faster, instead of getting studs, putting it off then injectors and putting it off then a year later get the twin kit.... my goal is to stop where most people say they should have at between 650-750hp.. Thanks for the help guys

#3 ·
lol does it sound like a good idea? I was also using it as we way to get my post up while also gaining some knowledge. I tried to search here for the kit with no luck. I guess my questions would be. Will I be ok with getting injectors over studs first as long as I keep the boost down, also will my cp3 be ok I would probably do stock over stock twin cp3's just to have enough if I ever go bigger turbo, after studs and injectors of course...

#4 ·
Why wait to do the studs they are the cheapest parts for what it sounds like you are trying to accomplish.
I don't believe an arson kit will support 150's so to go that big you'll need to upgrade the cp3 or go duals.
I haven't heard good things about the Chinese turbos off e-bay
Shop around you can find bw s475's for under $700 if you chose to go the piping route rather than the whole kit

#5 ·
I agree on the arson 3 not holding but it should be ok on the boost im running now until I get the duals?Im sure it will be struggling though. I know I should get the studs now I just really have a hard time swallowing spending 1000 dollars for a pair of damn bolts. The turbos im looking at on ebay are borg warners

#12 ·
I'm running ARP2000s...same price range as the old 425s from what I understand they are a very slight upgrade over the 425s....no problems to date and had been running without a coolant bypass but that went in this past week.

#15 ·
The arson 3 is going to be your down fall if you go 120s/150s. 90s are in the range of the Arson 3. Head studs I would go with the ARP2000's.

If you buy the kit from crazy carl you know that it will fit and you will get everything needed to mount it. You won't have to worry about buying the little extras like oil feed lines, mounts, etc. $2775 sounds like a good price.

#17 ·
ARP 2000's will be fine for what you are wanting to do. Put the compound kit on and when you do injectors do the studs at the same time cause you are already gonna be in there. Cp3's or cp3 whatever you decide can be put on before the injectors that way when you do the injectors you will be all ready for that extra fuel. Skip doing the arson 3 and Dave the money if you know later you will be going bigger.

#18 ·
I have Crazy Carl's piping kit with a stainless diesel manifold. Im going to warn you. My truck was down for almost 3 months because most of the parts did not fit or work. I'm still battling clearance and fitting issues. In Carl's defense he did his damn best to make it work for me. Shipped me I wanna say 3 or 4 intercooler pipes before I got one that kind of fit. All free of charge of course. I think the problem was my SD manifold. Anyways.. if I was going to do it over again I would have just spent the money and bought a SD kit. Just my two cents

#20 ·
I did not have those issues but I used a stock geometry 2nd manifold as indicated as a necessity on Carl's site...as far as I know your stainless diesel manifold does not fit that description...I say your choice of manifold was the issue not the piping kit.

#19 ·
There was an issue with the SD manifold design (thickness of the center section) and the primary location. The issue was addressed and fixed already. The IC pipe was also completely changed and is much cleaner and simpler in design.
Every company occasionally has issues.

#34 ·
Like I said you did your absolute best to make it work for me, and you did get it. I really appreciate the help/service I had received from you. based on the time the truck was down i think i should have either went with a full SD kit or one of the manifolds you use. I really wanted the SD manifold. No hard feelings I just want people to make sure their stuff is going to work with your kit. communication is key. Again Thank You for everything you did for me! :thumbsup:

I did not have those issues but I used a stock geometry 2nd manifold as indicated as a necessity on Carl's site...as far as I know your stainless diesel manifold does not fit that description...I say your choice of manifold was the issue not the piping kit.
You obviously didn't read any of what i wrote did you... Should probably do so before being a smart *** :spank:

I always thought the stainless diesel manifold was a direct replacement for 2nd gen style manifolds. I take that as identical mounting locations. Good to know there is a difference.
Thats what I was told. Carl stated that I needed a stock 2nd gen geometry manifold. I called a well know dealer about ordering one and asked. "I need a manifold that has stock second geometry specifications for a compound turbo setup. Will the SD manifold work?" my reply was "Yes, the SD manifold uses stock geometry and will work" So I was lied to.... It became evident pretty quick this wasn't true during my install. Carl solved the problem by sending me i wanna say 3 or 4 different IC pipes.

#21 ·
I always thought the stainless diesel manifold was a direct replacement for 2nd gen style manifolds. I take that as identical mounting locations. Good to know there is a difference.

#22 ·
That's very interesting about the SD manifold. I decided on Pat at Big Twin Diesel to build me a set of Garrett BB compounds and he uses the steed manifolds. He builds in the waste gate pedestal himself and custom coats the manifolds also. I never asked him why he only uses the steed manifolds though.

#26 ·
Not quite as simple as setting a waste gate on a single but if you are still running stock injectors I doubt you will see much over 50 if you see 50...If you are seeing too high a boost number just use a lower power level smarty program until you get studs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.