5" exhaust = loss of power? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
5" exhaust = loss of power?

I have an 06 2500 4x4 with the edge juice w attitude, magnaflow 5 inch turbo back exhaust, afe cold air intake stage 2 w pro af. When I first replaced the exhaust, it felt like the truck lost a little low end throttle response. Is this typical of this large of an exhaust? Is there a way to fix this? I have the edge set of 5 and went all the way to 5 on the low fueling to try and overcome the lack of initial throttle response, but it did not feel like it made a difference..........any help any one can offer would be appreciated..........Greg
redodgeram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by redodgeram View Post
I have an 06 2500 4x4 with the edge juice w attitude, magnaflow 5 inch turbo back exhaust, afe cold air intake stage 2 w pro af. When I first replaced the exhaust, it felt like the truck lost a little low end throttle response. Is this typical of this large of an exhaust? Is there a way to fix this? I have the edge set of 5 and went all the way to 5 on the low fueling to try and overcome the lack of initial throttle response, but it did not feel like it made a difference..........any help any one can offer would be appreciated..........Greg
I started a new thread for you in 3rd gen performance parts!:thumbsup

Gone:
04.5 Ram 2500 Reg Cab 48re 205k miles
Cat fuel filter
rufushusky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Some people claim to experience some loss in low end power with a 5" exhaust. When I bumped up to a five inch exhaust I did not notice any loss in power but I have a pressure box helping on the bottom end, so maybe that is something you could consider.

Gone:
04.5 Ram 2500 Reg Cab 48re 205k miles
Cat fuel filter
rufushusky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
i didnt feel any diff on mine either

Meyer Performance is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Our combos are very similar. The addition of a pressure module will definately pick up your bottom end. I have a Striker 2 stacked with my Juice and low end response is excellent. The turbo lights very quickly even at part throttle. The Edge Attitude w/Juice and Striker 2 is an excellent stack. Price is right on the Striker 2 as well!
2004.5 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab CTD 4x4, HTS full billet 48RE, SunCoast triple disk, 3.73, AD150, Smarty TNT/Edge Att. w/HOT Juice/Striker 2, GDP Intake Horn, Airaid CAI, 5" MagnaFlow SS Turbo-Back Exhaust, SR MIA, 5" Torque Tube
EddieCTD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
SootCloudMaker3

Yea, i would say if you add a pressure box to your set up, (be careful of your tranny) it should bring you back up to where you want to be. Im going to be adding a 5" to my truck but im sure with my Smarty and 3:73 gears im thinking i wont see a low end power drop. (Shouldnt anyway)
SOLD: 06 BIG HORN QC 4x4 Cummins 6 Speed SB w/SB DD
SOLD: 04 QCSB SLT 4x4 Cummins 6 Speed w/SB DD
SOLD: 02 ExCab 4x4 Cummins auto stock
stinnett25 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I did notice a slight low end powerr loss also when I added my 5" system. It does't bother me, truck still screams. I may consider the striker stack setup as mentioned.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
SootCloudMaker3

Well my 5" is on and i actually did notice a bit of a low end power drop. Take in mind i just got my converter, valvebody put in and my Smarty is on #3 with mild TQ management. I going to bump it up to #5 and see what happens. My mid to high range is crazy though.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i did not notice anything except slight drop in egt's and the noise being more throaty'r
Old 07-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
SootCloudMaker3

My EGT's went down a bit. And i love the sound which is why i went from the 4 to 5. Over all im pleased.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

is this a measured loss of low-end power?
because all of the speculation from just seat of the pants feelings really doesnt mean squat except that:
_compared to what your used to feeling_
the addition of the bigger exhaust _feels_ different and the difference is easily speculated away as low end power loss.

A little lesson in biology will remind us that the human body is most adaptable to accomodate a wide range of different living conditions. The entire act of driving exerts g-forces on us from intertia and lateral accel. and decel that we eventually get so used to our minds phase them out as we drive and subconsciously holds are body's still even though we are being tossed about.

holy this is getting long.

the whole point of my story is this: if, with the four inch exhaust, acceleration happened like this
GAS PEDAL - TORQUE CONVERTER STALL - SPOOL TURBO - TAKEOFF
where each moment had its own frame in time so to speak,

your body would than interpret the 5 " exhaust as slower, because it reacts
GAS PEDAL/ TORQUE CONVERTER STALL/ SPOOL/ = TAKEOFF
causing your body to feel the truck reach full acceleration , quicker; with no extra oomph when the turbo comes on because it's already spooled, happening in unison with the fuel being applied and etc.

I learned how not to trust the seat of the pants when fooling around with carbs on my 360 dart.
the edelbrock carb would blow the tires away at 30 mph and slammed you back in the seat when you stepped on it.
my 750 holley with vac secondaries would barely ignite the tires unless you were stopped and seemed like it had 'less' low end grunt
but track times proved the holley was 6 tenths faster just the way they sat.
the reason the dart would blow the tires away with the edel carb was because my foot would go to the floor, the carb would flood the motor and than the motor would catch up, light all the fuel and boom blow the tires away. same reason the holley was faster, the power came on smoothly and cleanly and progressively. felt slower, but our asses are not a dyno
Old 07-22-2008, 03:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
SUPER MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksolidcummins View Post
is this a measured loss of low-end power?
because all of the speculation from just seat of the pants feelings really doesnt mean squat except that:
_compared to what your used to feeling_
the addition of the bigger exhaust _feels_ different and the difference is easily speculated away as low end power loss.

A little lesson in biology will remind us that the human body is most adaptable to accomodate a wide range of different living conditions. The entire act of driving exerts g-forces on us from intertia and lateral accel. and decel that we eventually get so used to our minds phase them out as we drive and subconsciously holds are body's still even though we are being tossed about.

holy this is getting long.

the whole point of my story is this: if, with the four inch exhaust, acceleration happened like this
GAS PEDAL - TORQUE CONVERTER STALL - SPOOL TURBO - TAKEOFF
where each moment had its own frame in time so to speak,

your body would than interpret the 5 " exhaust as slower, because it reacts
GAS PEDAL/ TORQUE CONVERTER STALL/ SPOOL/ = TAKEOFF
causing your body to feel the truck reach full acceleration , quicker; with no extra oomph when the turbo comes on because it's already spooled, happening in unison with the fuel being applied and etc.

I learned how not to trust the seat of the pants when fooling around with carbs on my 360 dart.
the edelbrock carb would blow the tires away at 30 mph and slammed you back in the seat when you stepped on it.
my 750 holley with vac secondaries would barely ignite the tires unless you were stopped and seemed like it had 'less' low end grunt
but track times proved the holley was 6 tenths faster just the way they sat.
the reason the dart would blow the tires away with the edel carb was because my foot would go to the floor, the carb would flood the motor and than the motor would catch up, light all the fuel and boom blow the tires away. same reason the holley was faster, the power came on smoothly and cleanly and progressively. felt slower, but our asses are not a dyno
Yes what he said lol

Here to help if you need it
Devon E is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.