What turbo?? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What turbo??

Trying to decide on a turbo upgrade for my stocker. Been reading alot and there is tons of info but i wanted to see what everyone though for my situation. Mods in sig. Looking for a turbo that will support 500-600hp, for now im going to keep stock fueling and get some sticks when these go bad.
Truck is a DD sometimes tows 2-5k but not very often. Looking for something that will be fun on the street and will tow ok if needed. Truck wont see the strip just stop light to stop light and lots of open roads.
Looking for something i can spool with stock sticks and will also be switching to EFI live probably. Ideas so far been looking at BD killer B and Special, any more ideas??

Also i want this to basically drop right in no fab work 2nd gen swap etc.

thanks
07 2500 QC 4x4 5.9 48RE, 35x12.5x17 Nitto's, Red Head Gear, 2.5" level 2" blocks, Vulcan 1/2" 2 micron , S&B CAI, Pusher Intake, Fab Fours bumper, EFILive by Anarchy & Les @ Silver Bullet Tuning! HTS Stage 1. stock/s475 in works for spring
kingshado is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reconnaissance Expert

62/65, 63/68. Either one with EFI will put you in the range you want and will be easy and fun to drive.
2007 3500 LARAMIE MEGA CAB. 5.9 L W/G56 | MPI Twins | 90's | ARPs |EFI Live | Wilson Thrasher | 5 inch TBE | AD II 165 | AM Factory match gauges| Valair DD | 626hp/1294tq 12/7/11 @ Source Auto with a single 62 and Smarty TNT-R.

CONVENIENT THING ABOUT A CUMMINS TOWING CAPABILITY IS THAT IT CAN PULL ONE HECK OF A BANDWAGON. SO ALL YOU FORD AND CHEVY GUYS FEEL FREE TO JUMP ON.
Irish Maniac is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Who makes some of those? If you dont mind pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks
07 2500 QC 4x4 5.9 48RE, 35x12.5x17 Nitto's, Red Head Gear, 2.5" level 2" blocks, Vulcan 1/2" 2 micron , S&B CAI, Pusher Intake, Fab Fours bumper, EFILive by Anarchy & Les @ Silver Bullet Tuning! HTS Stage 1. stock/s475 in works for spring
Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Blah

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Some of it depends on your future plans. I really like my II Phatshat, it is a 62/65 with a 12 cm exhaust, they make the same turbo with 14cm exhaust housing as well. They also have a couple more options in there 62 series line. It does run hot on the top end at my elevation with 100hp sticks but with an auto I've seen 11 to 12lbs of boost at 1400 rpms so damn near instant. I will be having a compound kit installed on Wednesday however to cool my egt's off on the top end. I've seen 1700 but I also live at 5200 or so feet above sea level. You can get it to be a "drop in" to your 3rd gen manifold. If you haven't built the tranny you will be on borrowed time though with that much power. I thought I had a good plan but it has changed over time. For the most part I didn't have to pay for stuff twice but make sure you know where you want to go long term with the truck and plan accordingly. Sorry for the long post but that's my .02 cents.

Special thanks to Lance and the crew at 4Play Off Road and Diesel Performance https://www.facebook.com/4playoffroa...ocation=stream
golfsnow is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Reconnaissance Expert

"Screaming Eagle" Turbo 63-68-14 (FULL BORG WARNER TURBO) Rated for 550HP 75lbs per minute

STAINLESS DIESEL 63/68/14 WASTEGATED

63/68/14 Wastegated 5.9L Cummins Turbo Engineered Diesel

those are the 63/68s.

For the 62s just about every company has them. I run an htt 62/65/13ss in my twin set up. Just dont go any larger than 68 on the turbine wheel. Any larger can be laggy.

I would personally stay away from Industrial. Just my opinion.

A 62 will get hot with bigger injectors. That why i would go with the 63/68. Apparently flows like a 64 but spools like a 62
2007 3500 LARAMIE MEGA CAB. 5.9 L W/G56 | MPI Twins | 90's | ARPs |EFI Live | Wilson Thrasher | 5 inch TBE | AD II 165 | AM Factory match gauges| Valair DD | 626hp/1294tq 12/7/11 @ Source Auto with a single 62 and Smarty TNT-R.

CONVENIENT THING ABOUT A CUMMINS TOWING CAPABILITY IS THAT IT CAN PULL ONE HECK OF A BANDWAGON. SO ALL YOU FORD AND CHEVY GUYS FEEL FREE TO JUMP ON.
Irish Maniac is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Maniac For This Useful Post:
kingshado (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfsnow View Post
Some of it depends on your future plans. I really like my II Phatshat, it is a 62/65 with a 12 cm exhaust, they make the same turbo with 14cm exhaust housing as well. They also have a couple more options in there 62 series line. It does run hot on the top end at my elevation with 100hp sticks but with an auto I've seen 11 to 12lbs of boost at 1400 rpms so damn near instant. I will be having a compound kit installed on Wednesday however to cool my egt's off on the top end. I've seen 1700 but I also live at 5200 or so feet above sea level. You can get it to be a "drop in" to your 3rd gen manifold. If you haven't built the tranny you will be on borrowed time though with that much power. I thought I had a good plan but it has changed over time. For the most part I didn't have to pay for stuff twice but make sure you know where you want to go long term with the truck and plan accordingly. Sorry for the long post but that's my .02 cents.
Future plans are just sticks maybe 50-100 lift pump and cp3 if needed. Trans is on the list just waiting for the stock one to die then i will be ordering a build one. Thats kind of about it, just something to drive every day and have fun with really. Long posts are good more information!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Blah

Glad it made some sense and I know Industrial Injection is a bad name on many sites but not all of there stuff can be crap.
They never would have become the giant they are if that was true. It seems to me there are way more people that have run their stuff problem free than have had issues.

To each their own and I won't say which company but I am still waiting for a reply to an e-mail from one of the turbo companies listed above. I sent it over 3 weeks ago. So there are bad customer service experience with all companies.

Needless to say I didn't buy there turbo, decided to buy a compound set up instead to go with the II Phatshaft 62 I already have.

Special thanks to Lance and the crew at 4Play Off Road and Diesel Performance https://www.facebook.com/4playoffroa...ocation=stream

Last edited by golfsnow; 12-31-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I would like to do compounds maybe down the road, but for now i just dont have the money and i do want to try a nice size single.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Blah

I didn't really want to do them either but at a mile above sea level the air isn't very dense so to get the spool up and top end I wanted it was really the only option. Any of the turbos above mentioned with work in a compound set up if you do one in the future so that is a plus. Good luck, I hope it all meets your expectations.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i love my 63/68 a spools nice now. set of 50's and itll be right in its sweet spot
2003 Ram 2500 QQSB 4x4 5.9, 6 spd, Edge Juice w Attitude HOT, 63/68/14, DPS Exhaust Mani, MBRP 4" exhaust, S&B intake, Front levelling kit, 35"x12.5" Mickey Thompson ATZ, Twin 10", HID's, Carli Ball Joints, Valair quiet DD ORG, Fass 150
smally is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

i have the screaming eagle 63/68 ran it as a single until i went to compounds and i have no complaints with it so far man. good luck
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Jumping in as I too have been trying to decide on a single that I can later use in a twing set up. how would the BW S363 box turbo work? I'm not even going to pretend I know anything about turbos but I have seen that turbo come up in other threads
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.