alternatives to airdog or fass? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
alternatives to airdog or fass?

so ive been doing some reading on lift pumps, and dont really wanna spend 600 dollars. the only lift pump manufacturers out there seem to be fass and airdog and associated raptor, walbro and wicked diesel eliminator came up in several searches but i cant find a good source or website with a price. so big question. is there a cheaper alternative than buying a fass or airdog for an 05

thanks
2005 QCSB 2500, .20 over 03 pistons, 12v rods, S475 over stocker, II 100 HP sticks, Arson 3, FASS 150 w/sump, Studs, 110# springs, Smarty TNTR, Snow performance water/meth, DTT/Goerend billet trans, FBD 5" to 4" duals with MBRP tips, AFE stg2, AFE intake horn, ATS Subzero Intercooler, 2 micron filtration/GDP Big line kit, Isspro Trans, Pyro, Boost, FP, RP, projectors, Bushwacker flares and caps, thunderstruck bumper, black steelies, dynapro 315, HBS 2.5 level, skyjacker add a leaf
ram_2500CTD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Alot of people like them for there 2 micron filtering abilities.We all know about the common rail injectors. Im sure there are other pumps, im just sayin that these are popular because they have double purpose.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Oh and i dont think youll find much cheaper than a raptor. And if you think thats to expensive id stop modding now.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

its not that its too much. its just too much right now. im about to buy a built tranny, and guages, and a bumper, and new tires. so i was just looking to try to do a temp fix till i can buy an airdog. ive gotten mixed signals on if its ok to run my programmer on high with no lift pump. or if its gonna mess up my injection pump. i obviously cant feed crazy larry without a pump. but i should be ok to run extreme and performance without it? i normally run performance. and ive never thrown a code.
2005 QCSB 2500, .20 over 03 pistons, 12v rods, S475 over stocker, II 100 HP sticks, Arson 3, FASS 150 w/sump, Studs, 110# springs, Smarty TNTR, Snow performance water/meth, DTT/Goerend billet trans, FBD 5" to 4" duals with MBRP tips, AFE stg2, AFE intake horn, ATS Subzero Intercooler, 2 micron filtration/GDP Big line kit, Isspro Trans, Pyro, Boost, FP, RP, projectors, Bushwacker flares and caps, thunderstruck bumper, black steelies, dynapro 315, HBS 2.5 level, skyjacker add a leaf
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I tthink youll be fine.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i would skip buying a bumper and buy the fass or airdog. Injectors dont care what kind of bumper you got, but they care what type of filtration you give them
77machomopar is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77machomopar View Post
i would skip buying a bumper and buy the fass or airdog. Injectors dont care what kind of bumper you got, but they care what type of filtration you give them
if the bumper were just for looks i would agree, but the deer and elk in my neck of the woods dont care how much filtration i got. id rather drop 1000 for a bumper than pay for a deer in the grill at 75.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77machomopar View Post
if the bumper were just for looks i would agree, but the deer and elk in my neck of the woods dont care how much filtration i got. id rather drop 1000 for a bumper than pay for a deer in the grill at 75.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
COFFMAN CUSTOMS

Thanked 1,393 Times in 944 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
If you want to build a system in pieces you can get better filtration that a out of the box AD. Start with a GDP MK2+ kit and a fuel psi gauge. If your holding 2-3 psi WOT then you have enough fuel and can save for a better pump.

I am pushing 400 rwhp with 3 filters on the stock pump and have plenty of pressure.

AH64ID is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Checking your existing pressure to the CP3 like AH said is a good idea. If OK then you save up for the bigger setup. Unlike regular filters, the AirDog takes entrained air out of the fuel which increases injector life and usually improves mileage and torque because when the air comes out, injection timing increases. So it's more than just a set of filters and a better pump. It might be worth the investment.

But if air separation is not something you care about, there are some options. You can install a Raptor 100gph pump with adjustable pressure regulator for around $370, then a stand alone filter unit like a Racor 660R122 which is a 60gph Aquabloc 2 micron filter and head, with 12v fuel heater, 3/8-18NPTF connections. Should be around $180.00. Or do without the heater and spend around $120. Put it between the stock filter which is a Fleetguard 7 micron and the CP3. So the 2 micron Racor is the secondary. Can't beat the water separation or the micron rating (99% efficiency).

Later you could add another Racor unit. All models come in 2, 10, or 30 micron. So you could put a 30 (66R1230) after the Raptor down on the frame and leave your 2 micron up by the CP3. Then you can ditch the stock filter/housing if you want. If you intend to do this you can decide if either or both should have a heater. I believe you can get a water-in-fuel sensor for these too, although they come with clear spin-on sediment bowls so you can see what's in there. Or a steel bowl like they recommend for marine use.
June '06 Megadually, 4x4, auto, 3.73, PPE Xcellerator, S&B intake, CFM+ horn, Grid-whahappen?, Optix RP/EGT/boost/trans, M-H pan, PPE 215hp diff cover (measured at bolts), Tekonsha P3, electric tonneau for adjustable downforce, locking gate
turborep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gear Nerd

Agreed. If you *must* get a new LP now (i.e. the existing one is totally shot), then go for the raptor + external filtration conversions. That should work out to less than an AD setup, and still be equally effective.
AirDog II DF-165 (P551315/BF1275) / GDP Canister Delete / Bosch 505 - Stock Tips (Replaced @ 112,381 mi)
Autometer / JVC / Polk Audio
Best Tanks: 16.6 towing / 23.92 unloaded hwy / 23.2 city
TX_Dj is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
COFFMAN CUSTOMS

Thanked 1,393 Times in 944 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Personally I am not sold on air separation, I have seen the schematic for the AD and FASS setups, and don't really think it will make any difference.

I am sure air can damage things, but doubt the effectiveness of separation pumps.

AH64ID is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.