signs of cp3 and injector failure/going bad - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
signs of cp3 and injector failure/going bad

got a good bit of miles on my injectors and cp3 and just wondering what are some signs of them going bad besides white smoke and hard start.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
shake, lots of smoke or more smoke than usual, bad fuel economy, loss of power. the big thing seams to be an off balance idle or a shake at idle. I have heard a good rule of thub is to open your driver door with the truck ideling in park, if you open door which is hanging freely is shaking alot, thats a good sign of an off balanced engine.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

hmm not really noticed any excess shake or anything on the lines of that, but sometimes i do think when i accelerate my smoke is less black than it use to be. I might just be crazy but i bought the truck at 150k miles and it now has 220k.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,285 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
ticking, my old set of injectors had a definite tick to them just before I switched them out. it would be intermittent, all the time cold, sometimes when hot. If you have a rail pressure gauge and you've been watching it fairly closely I noticed my rail pressure numbers getting worse and worse and worse as the injectors leaked off more and more flow. I went from 90's to 120's and GAINED rail pressure. My truck always had a haze just before I pulled the injectors in it. Not so much at an idle, but at any load I could see a bit of black coming out of the stacks at all times.
Parts for sale: Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49.
Shibbyutman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibbyutman View Post
ticking, my old set of injectors had a definite tick to them just before I switched them out. it would be intermittent, all the time cold, sometimes when hot. If you have a rail pressure gauge and you've been watching it fairly closely I noticed my rail pressure numbers getting worse and worse and worse as the injectors leaked off more and more flow. I went from 90's to 120's and GAINED rail pressure. My truck always had a haze just before I pulled the injectors in it. Not so much at an idle, but at any load I could see a bit of black coming out of the stacks at all times.
Ahhh well looks like I might be heading in that direction then. When I am driving I get a slight ticking almost like I got to much "timing" on my motor if you know what I mean, but this started about 2weeks ago without touching the smarty.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,285 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
yup, mine just kinda showed up one day and never left (until the new injectors went in).
Parts for sale: Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49.
Shibbyutman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.