bully dog or smarty - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
bully dog or smarty

I was wondering what programmer would everyone suggest on using. The only thing is with the bully dog I can get the outlook monitor. But smarty is undetectable. Im at a crossroads. help!!
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Taco Member

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
smarty....

and i don't care what anyone says, every tuner is detectable to some point...just depends on how much the tech digs into your ECM w/ their scanner tool
02 Taco Prerunner Auto

Last edited by DodgeMech; 01-08-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: put in correct smiley code
DodgeMech is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

you have an 06 warranty must be about up anway? The best advice I could give anyone is don't settle. Get exactly what you want and know that you get what you pay for.
06' quad cab 4x4 bighorn Auto/4:10
4.5" fabtech lift, S&B CAI
305/65/R17 BAJA ATZ on Procomp 17x9 rims
Hiloram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

smarty.. it's life changing. get guages as well...
Old 01-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I had a bully dog and switched to a smarty. I love it. I heard for the 06 though the bully dog is better. I don't know for a fact I just know I love my smarty. Smokes less, lower egt's and I feel it pulls harder and there is a lot more adjustability. Also heard of bully dog frying ecm's but I never had trouble with that nor did my brother who still owns a bully dog.
04.5 cummins, Green intake, Smarty TNT/MP-8 stack, Air dog II, Arson III, Isspro EV2's, HTT stainless exhaust manifold, Byrd's intake horn, 5" straight pipe, BD flex plate, ATS tc, vb, input shaft, and lots of chrome. Big Thanks to Wally at FTE Diesel!
JR's04Cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

im haveing this same dilemma my warranty will be out soon an was wondering what the EGT are like with the bully dog
Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
SMARTY download TNT get gauges and you will be very happy WATCH EGTS
Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
CF Administrator

Thanked 3,925 Times in 1,898 Posts
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
bullydog 2.4D on the 06. Run that with the 'shift on the fly' capabilitys of the Outlook and you have a great combo with gauges included. Smarty works fine and all but im not a fan of sitting for 15min while I reprogram. BD is shift on the fly so you can just run and gun.

I wish smarty had a monitor with shift on the fly capabilitys. I think they would knock one out of the park with that.

Some men are born great, some achieve greatness and some get it as a graduation gift.

THE STIG is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mmm...HELLCAT!!!

Thanked 4,289 Times in 2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddyup5.9 View Post
bullydog 2.4D on the 06. Run that with the 'shift on the fly' capabilitys of the Outlook and you have a great combo with gauges included. Smarty works fine and all but im not a fan of sitting for 15min while I reprogram. BD is shift on the fly so you can just run and gun.

I wish smarty had a monitor with shift on the fly capabilitys. I think they would knock one out of the park with that.
Dont listen to this guy. Hes just pissed because a Smarty-tuned truck regularly handed him his a$$ last summer, and will continue to this summer as well

Smarty. Hands down the best programmer for ALL year common rails. All you hear from BullyDog is issue after issue, and poor customer service. Smarty, hell you dont have any issues so no need for service

If you get BullyDog, youll end up spending twice as much as you would have if you just went with the Smarty in the first place. Why? Because youll always wonder, what would have happened had you gone with the Smarty instead. Eventually, it WILL get to you and youll try one from a buddy or something, and youll be sold after that.

Why start with crap and work your way up? Just start at the top of the ladder and be done with it

Just my VERY opinionated/biased way of seeing things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common View Post
Why would you buy a Hellcat for road trips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorSmokPls View Post
Because you can
MoparProud is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dont Upset The Hulk....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07 View Post
Dont listen to this guy. Hes just pissed because a Smarty-tuned truck regularly handed him his a$$ last summer, and will continue to this summer as well

Smarty. Hands down the best programmer for ALL year common rails. All you hear from BullyDog is issue after issue, and poor customer service. Smarty, hell you dont have any issues so no need for service

If you get BullyDog, youll end up spending twice as much as you would have if you just went with the Smarty in the first place. Why? Because youll always wonder, what would have happened had you gone with the Smarty instead. Eventually, it WILL get to you and youll try one from a buddy or something, and youll be sold after that.

Why start with crap and work your way up? Just start at the top of the ladder and be done with it
Dang, and did your tranny fair there strokethis....? Just playing.

I run the Bullydog because I have a TST on there to tune just about everything else. The Smarty, by itself or stacked, is a pretty good programmer and I have heard nothing but good about them. As someone else mentioned on here, the BD is the stuff for the 2006's. The 2.4D is a great tune to run on the 06's, but make sure that you have gauges.

Built in memory of MJC 1983-2009
1badRam06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
CF Administrator

Thanked 3,925 Times in 1,898 Posts
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07 View Post

Just my VERY opinionated/biased way of seeing things

COUGHCOUGHCOUGH-HTSAUTO-COUGH AHEM. .

And make it clear to everyone my truck is 1500+ lbs heavier then yours and on 35's Its alright tho, you'll see this summer when 23ft of mega cab long bed go smoking past ya

just razzin ya bud. You know I want to try the smarty.. its just that damn stop and reprogram stuff that sucks so for now im sticking with what works

Some men are born great, some achieve greatness and some get it as a graduation gift.

THE STIG is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i had the BDTD .. me personally wasnt that impressed.....the predator had more balls...and the smarty is DETECTABLE.....i went to the dealer for warranty work ,,turned my rig back to stock,,and they new about the smarty
07 5.9 auto 4x4 QC LB,,,,,,,Icebox w/ Amsoil filter,HELL BENT 2" levelin kit,6in AUSSIEs, Recon smoked cab lights,Rat Black H2s w/ 35" Cooper AT3s..Bilsteins 5100....ISSPRO Gauges,Boost,Pyro,Trans Temp
Its a Diesel Punk!! is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Its a Diesel Punk!! For This Useful Post:
Jraley (01-09-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.