Cummins Diesel Forum banner

recommended for 500hp

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Move'n Up 
#1 ·
Hey all I have a stock 06 5.9. 600hp built tranny and EFI live with a 95gph fass fuel system. I don't wish to go over 500 maybe 550. Im thinking the stock turbo will not hold out much longer. Looking for anyones thoughts or opinions on what to do or upgrade. Any advice is really appreciated. I know there're tons of threads on here and to be honest I'm not good at using forums. Thanks

#3 ·
You're already around 500 HP. A 2nd gen manifold won't be any benefit. If you want a little upgrade, look into the SXE 62 turbo.

#5 ·
There is no standard answer as to what is the best way to go about 500-550hp in my opinion due to the different things people use their trucks for. As these guys have all pointed out, 500hp can be achieved with a stock truck and a good tune, however this is not the best way in every situation. If you daily drive your truck and don't tow heavy or often, then you are at a decent place, however if you tow very much or want to widen your power band, there are things you can do. Steed Speed manifolds are proven to increase low rpm power significantly as compared to stock 3rd gen manifolds, thus giving you more "usable" power. An sx-e 363 would spool nicely and cool off egts in the upper rpm range while still maintaining nice towing characteristics (362sx-e was mentioned in an earlier post, but I don't think it is offered with 71mm turbine, which is the one you want). Bigger injectors (50-100hp) could bump up fuel mileage slightly when tuned properly, while also adding some low end power and greater top end potential and cool off egts by shortening the injection event. A turbo blanket will help you spool up a few rpms sooner and keep under hood temps lower. Water/meth can cool down egts while bumping up mpgs and power. It really all comes down to how you use the truck, how much you want to spend, and what future goals may become.

#6 ·
The truck is used mostly for daily driving. I have not installed the fass yet curious if anyone noticed a big difference when they did? A turbo that is better then stock. Curious when its recommended for headstuds and gasket. Just looking for a good all around strong 500 to 550 hp rig that i dont have to worry about weakspots.

#7 ·
No doubt the s363sx-e is a good turbo, but it will only make 10 more hp than the s362sx-e at maximum fueling, and will spool ≈1 sec slower. As for the turbine choice, both the turbo's have the option of the 68 or 73mm turbine wheel, but for 550hp the 68 will do just fine for your application. The benefits of the 73mm turbine are only really found when the turbo is maxed out (600hp+) or if it is used in a high hp compound setup.

As for fueling, 550rwhp can easily be obtained with stock fueling, the fact that you already have EFI Live will help you out.

Headstuds I'm not sure about, I think I remember reading that 50psi is the max safe limit? If you get the 362sx-e with a wastegated housing than you can adjust the wastegate to be fully open by 50psi to be safe. I would recommend getting headstuds anyway just for peace of mind

#8 ·
You won't gain any performance after installing the fass. Since you're already around 500 HP and you want a bit more, you gotta find out if it's your injectors or turbo thats holding you back. I don't know what the max power is you can get out of stock injectors or the stock turbo. Your turbo may be able to handle a little more, but maybe the injectors can't push out any more fuel making a bigger turbo useless. Like i said, i don't know how much more you get out of your turbo or injectors and maybe someone will chim in about that, but it's also something you should research.

#9 ·
Wow answers are all over the place here........ As said by many your likely already at 500 is hp (this assumes CSP5 switch or your hottest tune loaded) (EFI will get you to 500 at any rate if you want it to). Your post said your worried about your turbo holding out but not why nor what you do with the truck. Nothing will spool like the stock turbo, but they do run hot on the big tunes and they do choke early. I am running a 63/75 compound set up and the 63 is more lazy than laggy but I am throwing a boatload of fuel at it. On stock fuel lazy may be laggy. So tell us why your turbo worried and what you want the truck to do. Better answers will follow that way.

#11 ·
Ok so daily driving truck. Running calibrated power solutions efi live. What size turbos with will with stock injectors? If a stock turbo is good then im fine with that. Just was not sure if they make any turbos that are built little beefier then stock that have a better life expectancy running at 5 to 550hp. What about the cheetah turbo? Or are they just way over priced?

#13 ·
Throw a Tater built turbo on it. He can rebuild your stock HE351c for more boost and spool like stock.

Reactions: mkepics
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.