All billet shafts the same ??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Fastest Welder in Texas

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
All billet shafts the same ???

As some of you may know from my other threads, my ATS Stage 6 (48re) has recently made another trip back to Colorado. Again...
ATS just called about 30 minutes ago and said my trans was ready. I asked what was wrong with it this time, and was told broken input shaft (billet).
My truck has been completely detuned for the last 5 months or so, ever since a dropped exhaust seat kisses a piston, and the trans failed at 65mph in Cruse control WITH NO TUNE !! Last ATS billet shaft that snapped on me was the output, and it broke backing out of my driveway in idle. But I'm getting sidetracked...
Anyway, I expressed my frustrations and asked if I bought a different billet shaft, like TCS, and shipped it to them, if they would install it. I was told " No, and it doesn't change anything because ALL billet shafts are made by the same manufacturer".
This sounds like a total load of horse @#$& if you ask me.
Any thoughts on the subject ?
Are all these different companies selling the exact same billet shafts, and just putting their own names on them ?
I don't think so.

04 CCLB 4x4 DRW... 50% over sticks, 10mm CP3, AirDog 4g, 58/65/14 - 75/96/132, 103# springs, HD pushrods, ARP's, Fluidamper, Smarty S-06 tnt-r, ATS Stage 6, FirePunk Anteater STC, 5" one PC driveshaft... Etc. 674hp & 1,369 TQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Diesel Head

I know when I had my trans getting de purpled last year the builder of the current unit put a set of calipers on the Ats billet shaft and the tcs (I believe) shaft and the Ats was smaller in diameter.
Yes I know for a fact the one he measured was the one that came out of my purple pos I watched/helped him remove and tear it down.

After my dealings with Ats they are a company built on lies and deception. IMO
The one good guy that was there left a couple years ago.

2007 5.9 MC - AIRDOG, AIRLIFT, ARP, AUTOMETER, BANKS IC, BILSTIEN, BMS 100's, CPP 103# SPRINGS, DPS 62/475, EXERGY 10mm, EFI Live by GORDON@INNOVATIVE DIESEL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, POWER DRIVEN DIESEL TRANS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MBRP, MOTOMETAL, PRO COMP, TOYO R/T, SUPERGLIDE 3600, FUZION 5'R
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Fastest Welder in Texas

Yeah I'm tired of my ATS POS. My truck at top running condition hasn't broke the 700hp mark yet... And this FULL BILLET trans keeps failing. And half the time under very gentle conditions. I rarely "hotrod" my rig, and so far I'm around $12k plus into this turd, not to mention the months and months of down time... Ughhh.
Now this junk about all the shafts being the same ? If they are all the same, why not let me have a different one installed ? If their all the same, why does it matter ? BS!!

04 CCLB 4x4 DRW... 50% over sticks, 10mm CP3, AirDog 4g, 58/65/14 - 75/96/132, 103# springs, HD pushrods, ARP's, Fluidamper, Smarty S-06 tnt-r, ATS Stage 6, FirePunk Anteater STC, 5" one PC driveshaft... Etc. 674hp & 1,369 TQ.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Diesel Head

I know exactly how you feel.
Over the warranty life of my Ats unit I went through three full builds plus NINE valve bodies and NINE converters.

My truck didn't even make it home from the worthless shop that talked me into that thing before it broke the first time.

What kind of line pressure does that stage six put out?

2007 5.9 MC - AIRDOG, AIRLIFT, ARP, AUTOMETER, BANKS IC, BILSTIEN, BMS 100's, CPP 103# SPRINGS, DPS 62/475, EXERGY 10mm, EFI Live by GORDON@INNOVATIVE DIESEL
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Fastest Welder in Texas

IDK. It's got the racing valvebody because they blamed the first few failures on the towing valvebody that they recommended... And the local shop that was the ATS dealer no longer deals with ATS. Too many returns and too many problems they said. They are now Suncoast dealers. Go figure.

post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Fastest Welder in Texas

Eric-07, if you don't mind me asking, what all did you have done to "de-purple" your trans ? Valvebody, converter, clutches ?

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMFB View Post
Eric-07, if you don't mind me asking, what all did you have done to "de-purple" your trans ? Valvebody, converter, clutches ?
valvebody,clutches, and steels.
They had just sent me a new converter so we put it in.(it's on the chopping block though) They had also sent me a 47re pump to instal so we rebuilt my exsisting 48 pump. Just because I can put down 700 doesn't mean I drive around at it.
I do not beat on my truck. The Ats Vb only did about 90 psi main line pressure @ WOT. The one that's in there now does 170psi main line @ WOT.
As soon as the wife lifts the spending freeze (we are working on buying a new house) I'm going to replace the converter and skinny input shaft.
Of corse a new coat of paint lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to Eric-07 For This Useful Post:
QMFB (04-10-2017)
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I have been in their shop a few times and must say they have the equipment to do any thing you can imagine. Its sad that they have such a bad reputation. When I was there they were talking about doing ford trans swaps for the 48 and 68 transmissions as the dodge trans is so weak. Struck me as funny when a lot of the big power guys are dumping Allison and Ford stuff for the 48RE as it can be built to hold monster power. I have to say 90 PSI would piss me off out of a built transmission. Now you guys have me a little worried my intermediate is an ATS lol (input and output (29 spline) being TCS). As to all shafts being equal I would have to lean towards your thoughts, thats BS.

06 QCSB Laramie 2500 4x4: EFI Live by Anarchy.CSP5 by Anarchy.Edge CTS. H-11 Head Studs. 75% over Injectors Direct Injectors. Sinister Diesel 5" exhaust. Full Billet Trans. FirePunk VB Manton push rods. Hamilton valve springs. Custom 63/75 compounds.....Next???
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Fastest Welder in Texas

And not just "equal". He actually said all billet shafts actually come from the same manufacturer and there IS NO DIFFERENCE ! I can believe they haven't been sued out of business by now...

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Nah. My tranny has been fine, but all shafts are either made in house or by a specified manufacturer set by the company selling the shafts. Many rockwell hardness tests have been done on several shafts. It seems to me that ATS always comes in well and low of all the other brands.

Best thing to do is just sell it once its good, and get a Firepunk or Suncoast unit. Thats the way to go sadly. Stupid thing is that you could have bought a loaded firepunk or suncoast unit and several other parts with the money you have sunk into your purple housing.

1994 Buick Roadmaster Sedan 'Betsy' LT1-4L60E, Every Option Good Old Fashioned Lead-Sled
2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie Every Option - ATS S3|FASS 150|DDP 50HP|S&B Intake|4"TBE|CTS2|EFI
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Anarchy Diesel

Thanked 2,532 Times in 2,117 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
That is a very personal question is it not? lol jk

708-990-7006
Anarchy Diesel Tuning
EFI Live BETA Tester
Custom tuning with EFI Live/H&S MCC/HP Tuners/WARP/EZ Lynk

The Following User Says Thank You to 3brorce For This Useful Post:
Broaner (04-12-2017)
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
I have an ATS transmission and I have been fortunate enough to never had any serious issues with them. If I was to do it again, I would go with a Goerend. Dealings with them are by far superior to any ATS interactions I have had since the only good guy left them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode