Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2005 5.9 swap for a 6.7

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Broaner 
#1 ·
Big question what is it going to take completely remove everything to do with the 5.9 motor ecm wiring all of it and in place put in a 6.7 cummins will the nv5600 fit up how difficult is the wiring going to be looking at purchasing a built 6.7 from say industrial injection some place like that so does the ecm have to be the same year as the motor going in I don't care about keeping my current dash gauges. I figured I could just wire in new gauges and make a new cluster in the dash is it just way to much work or is it possible with money time and a competent mechanic

#3 ·
Get it with qsb pistons and you wouldn't even need different injectors. Its a direct swap. Just swap your valve cover and harness onto the 6.7 and done. Retune wouldn't hurt but it would run fine on the old 5.9 tune.

#5 ·
No you need early 5.9 injectors(Both early 5.9's and 6.7's have the same piston style). 6.7 injectors don't always run the best on 5.9 ECU. Late 5.9 injectors, like you have now, will not be good for the piston in the 6.7.

AKA, since you are buying a new engine, get it with the QSB pistons and you won't have to do anything with injectors. You could run the ones you currently have.

#12 ·
Isn't the 6.7 qsb pistons 03-04 spray pattern? So at the very least he would need to swap his current nozzles for 143 degree spray pattern?

#7 ·
Thats a far larger nightmare and there is zero reason to do so.

#8 ·
Thought it would be a nightmare but cost wise why buy a newer truck more expensive truck when I've already got the truck it's self and just want a 6.7 instead. Was wondering is it still as big of a headache even though I'm not worried about keeping my dash and other electronic needs just what is needed

#10 ·
You should be listening to these guys as they have a lot of experience in this area. But they are right. Why would you want to waste all that time and effort into the wiring and gauges when you could have a 6.7 in you truck with a lot less effort.

#11 ·
I'm not trying to argue with anyone at all guess just playing devils advocate? So doing it the way they are saying with the early 5.9 piston and stuff still will
Give me all the same benefits as the 6.7 I've just seen the way 6.7s pull and how they are being used and believe that they are the better way to go and will get more results with less Hp

#14 ·
Swapping in a 6.7 with 5.9 electronics has been done many times and you have almost all benefits of the 6.7 and the benefits of a 5.9 by not having the emissions BS. With good tuning (HPTuners or Smart UDC PRO for 05), injectors and turbo combination you could be at any power level you want stock or 50+hp.

As far as using the 6.7 electronics thinking about it I doubt it will be much harder than piggybacking an 06-07 ECM on an 03-05 for better tuning (EFILive). Wire the engine with the 6.7 harness and then keep the 05 ECM and part of the harness for the instrument cluster.

Isn't the 6.7 qsb pistons 03-04 spray pattern? So at the very least he would need to swap his current nozzles for 143 degree spray pattern?
The ISB is the same as 03-04 but the industrial (QSB?) is the same as 04.5-07.

#17 ·
Let me just reiterate that the power of the 6.7 has nothing to do with the ECU. It has everything to do with the engine being 14% larger. The torque comes from the stroke increase. The power abilities come from the larger bore unshrouding the valves and making them more efficient. Literally, the factory 5.9 bore has the valves within 1mm of the bore diameter. So a huge portion of the valve can't come close to achieving its full potential. This is why boring a 5.9 .040 over has a big impact on power even though it only increased displacement by 1%.

THE ONLY benefit of the 6.7 ecu is that they can command 5 injection events and for power thats irrelevant. You only need 1 injection to make power. 5 injections is purely for smoothness and Emissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.