Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Looking at a stronger 48re

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  RamThisCummins 
#1 ·
I'm the in the market for a better and stronger transmission. The thing is, I don't know a whole lot about the 48re and what makes it strong and what makes it weak. The shop that I'm looking at has a 48re transmission rebuilt with shift kit, high energy crutches, Kevlar band, seals,gaskets, upgraded solenoids with all new Electronics, and bushings and also available billet cover torque converter with kevlar clutch all new parts and they can do more upgrades if needed like triple disc torque converter, dnj GM solenoid,billet input shaft, sonnax upgrades.

Like I said, I don't know much about a stronger 48re but how strong is this upgraded transmission?

Thanks

#4 ·
You're going to want to add the billet triple disc convertor and the billet input shaft to the build. I'd get a billet flexplate as well.

#6 ·
I would get a full valve body from a someone like Goerend. It will come with the upgraded GM solenoid. I also would do the triple disc tc and billet input.

#7 ·
I would definitely get give Goerend a call and find out who he recommends to build a trans with his parts in your area. I have one of his transmission and it's holding very well no matter what I through at it. Don't go cheap on the trans.

#8 ·
Yep, big recommendation for Goerend. I have driven a partially upgraded (converter, and valve body) 48re and my built 48re (Goerend) when I had my 06. The upgraded was definitely a step above stock but not near as good as the fully built. The connection to the road the fully built is impressive for sure. If you are going to do trans work, go fully built, you will not be disappointed. I believe the difference I felt between the 2 was the line pressure difference mainly, but don't quote me on that. It felt like the increased pressure made more use of the torque converter's build quality.

#9 ·
I would LOVE to have a full built trans but my wallet disagrees with me. I don't plan on putting 600hp (even though part of me does) that's why I'm curious to know if there's any must needed parts for a truck that will mainly do 450-500hp. With Billet input shaft, triple disk TC, with flexplate and other goodies that can handle 800+hp, that cost is a bit too much for me.

#10 ·
Use the search function, there's a ton of info on trans mods. But if you're sure you're gonna stay below 600hp, you can get away with a single disc billet cover converter, billet input, fresh clutches and bands, and most importantly a good valve body.

#11 ·
The shafts in the trans are weak, with just a tune you can break them. Your best bet is talk to a reputable builder like Goerend and tell them your intentions. While having the trans open it's easier to put parts in there than having to pay labor twice because you need another rebuild. Ford puts triple discs converters in their trans for that reason and you see fords able to race and tow heavy with a stock trans. I just hate to see people pay twice for something because I've been down that road. I hope this helps.

#12 ·
Whether you get a single disk or a triple disk, it should be rebuilt or checked depending on how you drive it.

If I am drag racing it on weekends and daily driving it during the week, for example, I would want it checked at least once a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.