Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust system advice?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Phillipjon 
#1 ·
I've got an 03 5.9 Cummins, had it for about 7 months now, and I'm looking at upgrading the exhaust system pretty soon. I know there are a lot of systems out there to choose from...so I'm not sure which would be the best for me. My truck is stock power for now, but I plan on it most likely ending up in about the 400-450 rwhp range. Based on what I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong), a full 4" turbo back system is sufficient for that power range. I want a system that is relatively loud, but not straight-piped loud (neighbors wouldn't be too pleased :joy:), and sounds really good, with as little "drone" as possible. I want a system with mandrel bent tubing. And one that is reasonably priced. Anybody have any good experience/suggestions or anything to stay away from? Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
IMO you should go 5 inch TBE. I have 1. Love it. Nice and deep tone. My friend went 4. He hated how loud it was. Threw a mbrp muffler on it. Still not satisfied. Went to a 5. Threw another quiet tone mbrp muffler on that. Very happy and neighbors don't complain. No droning reported by him. Lots of TBE brands from all major diesel retailers.

#4 ·
MBRP......4" duals, great fitment & quality (stainless), like everything about them. :thumbup:

#5 ·
I have a 5" flo pro with their muffler, I liked it up until the install of my 2nd gen swap and s467 turbo. It is really loud at 2000-2200 rpm. I am looking into a hushpower muffler or the aeroturbine. I don't want to restrict flow by putting a resonator on it.

#6 ·
4" turbo back with a FTE resonator. Turbo shines through & the Cummins sounds deep. The resonator kills drone which is way cool. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.