nitrous for dummies - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
nitrous for dummies

course, that's me. been doing alot of reading on here and things are very conflicting on what you can do and not do with nitrous. here's my scenario: my truck is an 06 mega with the following done; intake, exhaust, hts tranny, airdog 150, smarty with TNT, and a boost fooler. not much done to it at all. in the spring i hope to upgrade turbo, cp3, then injectors. truck currently has 100k miles on it. i love to run it down the track and have learned the old pay to play thing, see new tranny. anyways, i currently have a best of 13.58 at 99mph at 5200ft. elevation. i wanna see what a "little" shot of nitrous will do. we're talking 100 shot or less. my concern is 3 fold. excessive internal heat=melted pistons from too much timing, head gasket failure, and stock turbo overspool. any of you guys with similar set-ups or real world nitrous experience i would sure appreciate the input. the kit i am specifically looking at is the zex #82028. ZEX DIESEL NITROUS SYSTEM NOS NX 35-200 HP #82028:eBay Motors (item 140360527929 end time Dec-16-09 18:46:26 PST)

would this be safe for me to run just down the track until i get the other stuff done? thanks in advance.

southwestcoalrollers.com
NMMEGA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I ran 100 shot with stock turbo with BD stacked over DrP.and no problems should get you in the 12's.
runninlean is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

You will be perfectly fine with a 100 shot. The kit that you posted will get you there with no problems. Do yourself a favor and call a few different companies that are manufacturing Nitrous kits for Diesels and talk with them until you are comfortable. I believe Nitrous Express has a good FAQ section on their website where you could learn something.

Running nitrous is not hard to do, and I would be absolutely amazed if you somehow hurt your engine with a 100 shot or less. Absolutely amazed! I have never ran that small of a shot before. 150 is the lowest for me personally, but I have never ran it on a diesel. I spray my race car all the time, but the diesel is my DD and puller.
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, Black, Laramie, HO 305/555, 48RE, 3.73's, American Racing Rims with 285/75-17's, Lorenz 2" leveling kit, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, IceBox Cold Air Intake, 4" Aero Turbine Exhaust, CFM+ Intake, FASS 95/95
04Dodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I think most of the Nitrous Oxide kits for diesels are going to be as "safe" as you allow them to be.
My personal opinion though would be don't buy your FIRST kit off e-bay. It could be worth alot more in time, effort and broken parts if you buy it from someone reputable that has experience, so if you have problems, questions, or concerns you can get ahold of them before you hurt yourself or your truck.
However it is your truck and your money, So you can take that advice for how much you had to spend to get it.

Just a wee bit more than a stock truck has!
Twoforme2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

thanks for the advice so far guys

southwestcoalrollers.com
Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
i would not run any NOS in my truck ever...but thats just me.....
1995 2500-RCLB-47RH-4:10's-Plate Slid Forward-Interstate MTP-Tork Tek OFV-Fuel Heater Delete-265 Bridgstone Dueler Revo II-168k - SOLD

2006 RCLB LLY 4x4 ZF6

Info on the V8 Cummins powered Nissan Titan > http://www.dieseltitan.com/index.php

94-02 vin decoder ---> http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/VIN_decode.htm
sofakingbad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

why, chase?

southwestcoalrollers.com
Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakingbad View Post
i would not run any NOS in my truck ever...but thats just me.....
Right, that is why he is looking at Nitrous Express for the kits. Not NOS. I believe NOS is a company and not a product. Sorry. I just hate it when people call it NOS. The correct terminology is Nitrous Oxide

Weekend Toy 1998 2.5 truck.. build in progress
collin_bucko is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMEGA View Post
why, chase?
Quote:
Originally Posted by collin_bucko View Post
Right, that is why he is looking at Nitrous Express for the kits. Not NOS. I believe NOS is a company and not a product. Sorry. I just hate it when people call it NOS. The correct terminology is Nitrous Oxide
what ever its called i just dont like the stuff an to me it is cheating. if you want power then spend the money an do it right. just IMO though. lots of guys run it an have good success its just not for me.
1995 2500-RCLB-47RH-4:10's-Plate Slid Forward-Interstate MTP-Tork Tek OFV-Fuel Heater Delete-265 Bridgstone Dueler Revo II-168k - SOLD

2006 RCLB LLY 4x4 ZF6

Info on the V8 Cummins powered Nissan Titan > http://www.dieseltitan.com/index.php

94-02 vin decoder ---> http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/VIN_decode.htm
sofakingbad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakingbad View Post
what ever its called i just dont like the stuff an to me it is cheating. if you want power then spend the money an do it right. just IMO though. lots of guys run it an have good success its just not for me.
O.K. bud. thanks for the honest opinion on it. just thought you might have known something about it having some adverse affects or something.

southwestcoalrollers.com
Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Just to give you a insight on Nitrous. Bigger is not always better. In some cases a smaller shot nets you more power. And why use nitrous when your fuel is already burned all the way? If your clearing your smoke up, there is no reason to use nitrous.

Also, if you run too much. The rig shuts off at times and when you start it, it will backfire and scare the living $hit out of you.
fordassassin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Go for it! Its only "Cheating" if you didn't come prepared!
Pulling... a different story.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.