Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Need a little tuner advice !

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  gecoveyc 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 5.9. Had an Edge CTS and got great fuel mileage and performance on power level 3 ...... 75hp I think ?
Now I have a Smarty touch and the best I performance I can get is on level 5 .... 90hp w timing. And the fuel mileage sucks. But it doesn't compare to what I had with the Edge. And for the price difference I would assume the Smarty should prevail lol. Suggestions on how to fix that would be appreciated !
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Any chance new programmer + a little higher horsepower tune= you're putting your foot in the pedal a little harder and enjoying the power a bit more? Just saying maybe you've changed your driving habits a little bit unknowingly and that along with the added fuel from the tune has kicked your MPG's down a notch?

#3 ·
Try catcher 3 with pod at 80% and tq turned down a bit

This is where I get my best mpg

There's always udc pro rt tuning available to if u REALLY want the max of everything that smarty has to offer

Reactions: promisedland
#4 ·
Look into Hp tuners. Its almost like efi live but for early 5.9s altered diesel wurks can get you takin care of. Not sure on the user name but look up robert ivey

#5 ·
You already have the touch don't waste your time with hp tuners call Coffman customs they will hook u up with a few tunes.

Go udc pro rt (same capabilities as hp tuners)

This will be WAY cheaper cause you have already invested in the touch.

#6 ·
I haven't forgot about you buddy I promise! Hired another mechanic earlier this week and have been getting him trained in the shop to help free up more of my time for phone calls, email, and quicker tuning turn around! I'll be up here another 4-5 hours tonight again trying to catch up. I'll call you ASAP tomorrow

#7 ·
Like Dez said, since you already have the Touch, all you need to do is add UDC Pro tunes to it. It's been raining here so I haven't been able to do our in house HP/UDC Pro dyno review with our 05 truck, but it will be very soon. Next week at the latest unless something comes up. I like both softwares but I do like UDC Pro better. I actually have not switched back to a HP tune on my personal truck since HP was released.

Robert Ivey at Calibrated Addiction is an excellent tuner with both platforms as well. He or I can get you fixed up no problem with either platform, if you need help. Shop number for us is 806-679-2877.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.