Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Similarities between EFI tuners

4K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Danderson 
#1 ·
Hey yall,
Ive had a certain EFI tuner in mind that Ive wanted to have tune my 06 and my last 07 5.9. Over the years, the stars just never aligned right for me to go through with it.

Well, im ready to go though with it but now im having issues trying to communicate with the guy. We spoke real breifly on FB but out of the blue he stopped responding to my questions, so i hit him up on his preferred platform, his email. When i did so, i got a rather vague automatic responsed.

So, with that said, i guess i have two questions..

1. Does anyone know whats going on over at Silverbullet tuning or maybe know him good enough to get me a timeframe.

2. If he is just super super busy and our timeframe needs arent going to meet up, who should i turn to..

Im pretty specific in what im looking for and in viewing numerous threads he always seems to be the one explaining why it's good to do it one way over another. Like, there's a million ways to tune, it's my belief that Les utilizes all the tools in his arsenal to create very safe, very clean tunes that don't hammer your equipment. Instead of running crazy numbers in one specific area of the tune to a achieve said goal (like insane RP or Pulsewidth). Its my beleif that his tunes are very linear in their nature, injector rattle is minimum, and that he tunes around reliability, sustainable egts, pumps, Injectors, drive pressure's, drivability VS having everything set to full time kill. Im also, interested in his style because you pay for the services, he sends you the tunes, you run, you log, and you send back for tweaking. something Custom, to my needs.... I've come across a few who charge the same for the loaded device, but then charge you again to tweak it. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of "Custom" tunes. If im just buying a programmer loading it and nothing is tweaked, thats just a canned tune, but from so & so. Granted they originally tune around your stock or modified parameters, but if its not being fine tuned after, your not tuning around your hardware's actual capabilities.

So yeah.. thats what im looking for and what i ultimately need.

With all that said, who can i use for a plan B that tunes with similar ideas to Les @ Silverbullet. So far.. i havent seen anyone that goes about it in the same manner or its just not explained out in the open by them. This is important to me because the last two times ive put tuners on my trucks ive ended up with expensive issues that could have been avoided with something such as legit custom tuning.

I known this may sound similar to the bazillion other EFI threads, but its not. I am looking for something done a specific way with specific concerns addressed.

Thanks for any help yall can give.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
He is a victim of his own success. Between EFI and the other tuning platforms he stays extremely busy. I had a beta csp5 tune from him that was great. Had him to send me a new copy after the csp5 full release came out, but it didn't work and he hasn't responded to any of my emails to try and fix it since. Personally I am done with Les and silverbullet tuning.

#3 ·
Ohhh.. Nooo.. thats too bad my friend. I had a feeling what you just said was going to be the reason. Realistically, I didnt even feel right trying to explain the scenario because im not trying to come off negative about someone im trying to do business with. I was realy just confused. I know he has a day job and who knows what else, going on in his personal life that isnt any of our business, but the automated response could be a little more informative. You know, is this guy slammed, do i move on, should i expect a month long turn around time?

However, thats a bummer to hear.. Also, if your not using a V2, it really boils down to being at the mercy of someone else if something aint right. WHICH SUCKS!!

Honestly, this is the last conversation i thought I'd be having regarding a well known EFI guy.

I'll wait another day or two, but in the mean time, do you have any idea who similarly to him. I'm sure he's got a few protégés following his footsteps? Yeah, No..?

Who are you going to go with now?

#4 ·
I can't say I know any of the tuners. But if I were in the market for one, I would try to stay with someone who has been through the "wars". Only reason being, when you get max effort stuff, so often you really find the limits by going over them. Most of the well knowns have had to stomach the phone call for a meltdown, defend their work, at times on here. When they send something off to a customer that is running the ragged edge, they don't want you to be a crash test dummy. Do a search here and you'll know as much as I know. But you'll find which ones have seen top and bottom. There isn't any one size fits all with timing limits.

#7 ·
Hey Phil.

Heres part of an email i sent off to Les to inform him of whatd what.. i took a similar layouy of which i see in online stores to try and convey it in a fasion yall are use to seeing.

Heres my current configuration.
DRIVELINE
06 5.9
Manual
Valair Single Disc HD (New option rated for 400 maybe more ?)

AIR
4in Straight exhaust
3.5" Intake manifold
3.5" Cool Side Tube Only
Stock Grid Heater
Stock Airbox - will upgrade if instructed to
Stock turbo
Stock Injectors
(but need new ones, upgrading within a week or two to BMS 128 50's)
Stock CP3
Stock PRV
Stock Valve Springs
Stock Cam
Stock Head Bolts

Desired RPM - Advise Me Please
Desired HP - Advise Me Please
Keyless entry

ECU- could have a prior tune on it. Just seems rather strong compared to my last 6speed. Please advise on weather i need to do anything special with this to avoid flashing issues

#6 ·
Well thats just the thing..
I have done the searches and i just dont have the time to sift through the thousand threads going over the same BS.

All i keep coming across is the overwhelming "roll call" threads which contain absolutely nothing about how these files are setup from tuner to tuner.

Its ironic you mention one size fits all because that was the original reason i contacted Les a few years back. There was a member here RyeThomas or something like that, who had Les write a one size fits all type of tune for him. From what i recall it was the bees knees.... clean.. safe.. low egts while towing, great mpgs and very linear power. However, since the advent of the csp5, most ppl dont use these type of tunes anymore because there is no neef for any compromise while having 5 on hand.

#8 ·
I would give anarchy a try. 3brorce will be able to fill you in on what they can provide. I have read and heard good reviews about their tunes and service. As for me I am looking to finally add more fuel and another turbo so i will look to get it retuned after. I have gordon from innovative about an hour away from me or I may make a trip back up to firepunk so lavon or paul can tune it on the dyno.

#13 · (Edited)
Your around 8 hours or so from us if wanted to make the trip.

You just need a set of tunes for a stock truck it's that simple bud.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I agree with this^^ in how you have a stock truck, tunes can only get so custom. Plus you have a clutch that is going to be pushed to the limit on a big tune. Can you log a stock truck and send it back to the tuner, yes. Most have tuned tons of setups and know how the truck is going to react to tuning. One being how to set timing in cruising areas to try and maximize efficiency which it sounds like is your main concern. Drivability is going to be the main difference from tuner to tuner as peak power is going to be about the same which it does not sound like you are interested in.

#11 ·
You just need a set of tunes for a stock truck it's that simple bud. Personally I like Gordon @ innovative he has been unbelievable with responses and willingness to help the guy actually bailed me out on a Sunday afternoon

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
I had PPEI and just recently switched to Robert @ Proline/ Altured I've been very happy with him! Very responsive and willing to help. Send files via FB messenger or email he even tunes on his phone. I still want to get some tunes frome Les tho

#16 ·
I've only used two tuners... Dave aka Draconian is who i started with at the beginning of the EFI release days and switched over to Robert & Ronnie at Proline when i wasnt getting very good results from Draconian. So far ive been much happier with Proline tunes on both my 08 and my stock 15. Fuel mileage is good, power is good and the trans tuning shifts great and holds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#18 ·
So to update and not make it look like Les never got back to me, he ended up reaching out to me a few days after i received that automated response. Honestly, i think the guy is just crazy busy and swamped with an insane amount of requests. That and a Day Job where there are real life responsibilities.

Thanks for the help guys. I know these thread's get super old, but as you can see i was looking for a specific experience.

Also, a big thank you to Robert@ProLine for doing me a solid one & also fielding an inordinate amount of questions from me knowing I was trying to go through another tuner. It was nice speaking with you.

I hope to give another update when all is said and done.

#20 ·
jimmycrackcorn;24005914 Who is Proline? Is he a tuner for for "Altured"? By "Altured" im assuming "Altured Diesel Works"? Im not doubting theyre knowledge but said:
Sorry I'm just getting back to you. 1st.I have a V2 2nd. ProLine is partnered with Altured/Ronnie he does the hard part stuff and Robert does the tuning while I was happy with Korys tunes one issue I had was that after I put my 60% exergy sticks in I blew the HG during the first 15mins of having it tuned and while that is just inherently part of the game which I understand after looking at the data logs he said it looked good to him and made no changes. That kinda pissed me off because obviously something wasn't quite right either in my truck or with the tunes. Isn't the old joke to crank up the tuning til the HG blows than back it down a little? Lmao. Robert has just been great to deal with although he stays busy AF he always gets back to me with an answer. Tunes aren't half bad either lol.

#21 ·
Ohh Woaah.. that sux big time! As if injectors arent expensive enough, throw a head gasket job in there too.. Did you do the R&R yourself or bite the bullet on paying someone?

Did you ever figure out what caused it to blow out? Would that be cylinder pressure? When talking 60% overs, are you suppose to just plug and play or do you need to get finer tuning done before driving.

Im pretty much all stock but, I just asked Les to turn mine up a little, hope im not playing with fire. I wonder at which point studs become more of a mandatory thing vs preventative. I hate head gasket issues with a passion, idk why, just something about them. They seem so...idk..fragile..lol..

#23 ·
Damn man.. a full year!! Lol! Im playing.. thats the story of my life and most ppl i know. Sux taking hits like that. However...from what it sounds, you did come out on top! All sorts of new goodies under the hood. I bet that R&R by its self would have cost about 3500.. and that's without the extra performance work and other items you indulged in.! At least you did it right though, fresh head, studs, rods, etc...

What does the marine gasket do for you over say the oem or some aftermarket gasket?

The coolant bypass, does that help with keeping the HG in check?

#25 ·
The marine gasket is OEM just off of the QSB480 marine motor. It lowers compression a little. Never go aftermarket HG on cummins. Always stay OEM and MLS on 3rdgen. The coolant bypass keeps the freeze plugs in check. Its crazy the pressure that the head can build in the upper rev range 3k+ the labor was only 1k which isn't bad considering all the twin piping and BS they had to deal with. I think the final talley was over 4k$ for everything.
Mellow is right if you think you need them because you push your truck get them!
400-1100$ today is waaaaayyyy easier then 4k$ tomorrow

#26 · (Edited)
Vouch for Phil. Very happy with the repsonse vs how busy I know he is and my truck rails realllll nice at the track, and drives artound town like a lady :)

Reactions: 3brorce
#27 ·
So i sent Les a message on 25 July with no response yet, I did get the email with the automated response as well. I've also attempted to reach out to him on here with nothing so far. I understand being busy, but from what I've seen its worth the wait. Unless some one else can convince me to go with them I will just wait for a response.

#29 ·
I'm pleased with my Anarchy Level 1 w/cps5 switch.
I have some fun with #5 on the freeway occasionally but with my SBC OKHD clutch,I usually use #4 with a tame right pedal.
When I first got it I was helped at 9:00 pm Tennessee time and they coached me through the setup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.