Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Performance upgrades

5K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  cux211 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum. I just bought a 06 2500 Cummins with 140k on her. It has an ATS transmission, banks air intake, banks intake manifold, banks intercooler, 4 inch straight turbo back exhaust. It already had boost, oil pressure, fuel pressure gauges. My question is what tuners are good for me. Or what other things should I upgrade to improve the truck. Thanks for your opinions.

Reactions: Gunny Fitz
#2 ·
I would add better fuel filtration and then get EFI live. I don't know if your tranny will be fine with EFI or not, so you might wanna look into that.

#3 ·
Since you have an 06 DEFINATELY EFI Live. In theory, since you have a trans built by ATS it should hold up without trouble to EFI Live with what you currently have for upgrades, but if you read around this forum seems like you won't find many good reviews on their transmissions so who knows I guess. Filtration upgrade definitely should be on your to do list too. Good luck with the new ride!

Reactions: Fanman43
#4 ·
Welcome to the forum, Grey. You'll find some very knowledgeable folks on here and a few morons. lol

Here's a link where you can download your factory service manual and some other good docs. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/81mtpw6h29nct9h/AADFUT79CVpu_LcpdZOLxp5ja?dl=0

It's all about "how much do you want?". You can get a Superchips Flashpaq 3805 for $200 on ebay that will add about 75-100hp and is a great, safe tuner. Simple and cheap. Or, you can spend a lot more and go the Smarty route, EFI live, etc. all about your desires and your wallet.

When you get a sec, also please fill in your signature. It's real simple: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/profile.php?do=editsignature

Welcome aboard, bud! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

#8 ·
EFI live is for 06+ trucks and is by far the best for your year truck. For added filtration look at Glacierdiesel.com for there MK+2 kit. I would then look into 2nd Gen manifold conversion with a larger turbo like a 63/68 and some 60 stix thats a nice setup. This is depending on your future power goals of course. Then save money for when the ATS gives out and replace it with a Firepunk or Gorend. A lot of info on this site just search. Good luck and welcome.:thumbsup:

#28 ·
New to the site and performance upgrades so forgive my ignorance. I looked up the Mk-2+ you mentioned above. Is that something you would use to replace the stock fuel filter? I was looking at ordering the air dog air/fuel separation system. Would it be pointless/redundant to get the MK-2+ and the Air dog or is it best to do just one or the other? I feel like you could do both, but then again I am just assuming.

SF

#10 ·
efi is the best possible route you can go for your truck, you will freak out at the difference it makes to your truck once you get it

#11 ·
There's a bunch of different shops you'll find on here that do EFI Live tuning. I'll put a plug in for Anarchy. Am very happy with it. Give them a call and talk to Phil. More than willing to answer whatever questions you have.

#12 ·
Like what he said give anarchy a try. I purchased some tuning from them on the other truck and it's great!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: 3brorce
#15 ·
Sounds like a nice setup. Depending on how big you want to go air and fuel will nearly always be limiters. EFILive is by far the best way to go for the Cummins. Tuners have so much control with the setup. There are many good tuners out there. We offer PPEI (Kory Willis). For an 06 based on your setup you would see an additional 30-180hp at the rear wheels.

Let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

#18 ·
Rail pressure gauge can be had for under $180 (isspro ev2) since it looks like you already have some gauges. You may consider Edge CTS or CTS2 insight as well.

#21 ·
Curious your opinion on this. I currently have no gauges, only insight CTS with EGT probe. Looking at getting a triple pillar gauge also. So if I have 3 gauges, and insight to monitor with, which parameters would you buy gauges for and which to monitor with insight? Right now I get EGT from probe, and boost, tran temp and rail pressure through ALDL/insight. In addition to what's currently monitored I'd also like to monitor fuel pressure and oil pressure. So my question, is there certain parameters that are better or more accurately measured with gauges and/or different sensor locations than what the ECM monitors or is it just personal preference as to what you prefer to see on CTS or gauges? Hope that makes sense. For example IIRC I've heard you're better off to monitor boost from a tapped hole in intake horn vs however ECM calculates boost. So maybe you'd do gauge on that vs CTS. Maybe same for rail pressure? I don't know. Thanks

#23 ·
that's how I have mine setup, I have the CTS and it monitors up to 8 things at once which is nice, but I run a manual boost gauge because of factory map reading to 37-38 psi. one of the best ways to run it imo. I used the OEM srt-10 viper truck pillar with the grab handle still on it. less clutter on the pillar and you can mount the CTS where ever you want really

#24 ·
I get it. And to be honest be nice to keep the grab handle. I just have the windshield suction cup mount for my CTS and so far I'm happy with it there. I got the EGT probe with it but believe it's non expandable. If you don't mind my asking, how much it cost you to set yours up to monitor whatever you are with it? Kinda seems, if I understand what I'm reading about CTS looking at their site, that by the time you buy required "expansion cables" and sensors etc to monitor fuel pressure and boost maybe, that you end up spending $3-400 more to see that stuff on CTS. Hope you can tell me I'm reading wrong!

#25 ·
I only bought one expandable kit for the pyro, but it wasn't much. ill have to look threw my receipts when I get home. I wanna say the CTS screen was 280 and the pyro kit was 60? somewhere around there. the CTS already monitors fuel rail pressure so you should be good there, unless your talkin about fuel psi from the lift pump then you would need to run a expandable circuit. same for boost if your makin over 38 or so then it would be smart to do the same or run manual gauges to be a little cheaper. im not sure how many expendable circuits you can add to so you might wanna check into it first. I also bought all my stuff on black Friday so im sure its not the same price anymore lol

#26 ·
Yeah. I'll have to do some reading see what exactly is needed for each parameter you want to add to the CTS. I bought mine from Anarchy at the same time I bought EFI Live programming. Got the EGT probe free part of package. My thinking may be off but my theory as to what to use CTS for and what to monitor with gauges is this. CTS has nice easy to quickly read display to see numbers that are constantly changing. Such as EGT, rail pressure, boost, etc. I would like to monitor lift pump pressure, and oil pressure, but these are two parameters that should be relatively steady and also don't have a huge high/low swing range. So I thought those would be more fitted to gauges, which look nice and do their job for sure, but would also be tougher to read quickly and accurately because of the smaller display and wide range of numbers you'd see on an EGT or RP gauge. I'm also not currently making over 38 psi boost, but hopefully will make littler higher down the road, and like 3broce said and I've read before, you get a more accurate idea of actual boost pressure from a sensor for that vs ECM calculated numbers. Maybe my thinking is all wrong too! Just seems logical to me

#27 ·
Sure enough you're new alright. Just saw 5 posts total. Lol.
Sincere welcome to the best Cummims Forum on the web my friend!
As stated previously, there is a TON of useful knowledge here and also tons of material on the sort of info you're seeking too. By doing a little SEARCH here and there you will discover where things are, and even stumble upon huge piles of great info in "Stickies" too. Btw- Mine is a Big Grey Monster as well my man!!

As with ANY forum on any topic, you will also get more opinions on those topics than there are members on this forum! Take them in, digest different ones and make the outcome of your decisions based on the FACTS and what is good for YOU my man! Not everyone else.
That is my advice from a broken weary Marine brother. So I may as well add my personal opinion based on my personal experience for ya too here.

With the 2005 I own, and have been doing mods on it since the week I rolled it off the lot upon my return from Iraq that year. I've certainly stumbled and fell, bought some lousy products and learned from it all too. What I am running now is pretty dam solid - w the little exception of my HID Conversion issue (Detailed in my LONG Thread on it all) lol
IMHO - I've used the Edge Juice With Attitude since day one, and now have the latest version with the CTS Touch Screen Monitor w AWESOME success too! The thing has more features than you'll know and does stuff that won't screw up your ECU or mess w anything enough to break parts (Well, I guess unless you're stomping on it in Level 6 daily!) ;)

If interested in some of my Mods and where obtained -with some of the best pricing, hit me up via PM (If you've figured out how to run that one yet man?) Always here to help members as you'll see by doing that SEARCH!! :)

Semper Fidelis & OOHRAH!!

Gunny

#30 ·
Yeah, after doing some more reading I came up with the same conclusion. What are y'alls thoughts on getting an air/fuel separation system vs just a 2 micron filter? I was reading on here about the Air Dog and found that a lot of people are not too happy with their products and prefer FASS. Makes me wonder if the a/f separation thing is really that necessary since they seem to break a lot.

#31 ·
you dont have to get a pump to get a water separator and fuel filter. here is a kit '03-'12 Cummins Fuel Filter Kit since this is only lines and filters, you dont have to worry about the pump breaking

Reactions: CliffordBRT
#32 ·
Do you have this cat fuel and water filter?

Do you know why they recommend keeping the stock filter installed? I feel like having the fuel go through a 2 micron filter to a 7 micron filter is pointless, plus I will have to buy 2 fuel filters now instead of just one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.