Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Starting over... Bigger and better

32K views 297 replies 34 participants last post by  hotrododge 
#1 ·
Hey fellas. I recently started building my new 2.5 class puller truck. It will be fitted with a 6.7 engine and nv4500 trans in an 04.5 qcsb roller I found. I decided to start a new thread instead of members having to read through hundreds of pages from my last build to get to where I am today. I will, when I get time add pics captions info on the specs and build sheet as I go. I have a lot of info and pics already so soon as I get time I'll post them up for everyone to see. Hope y'all enjoy it as much as I will. As you can imagine, going with the big bore stroke motor and the old faithful pulling trans in a boxes frame solid 3rd gen chassis always makes a nice combination.

Feel free to comment and enjoy!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
I'll start with a few chassis pics. While I'm gathering engine pics.

Pics of when first got it

It's a real piece

After a good degreasing

Fuel cell mounted old tank out tail gate off bumper and factory hitch etc. new hitch and sled stops
mounted

Front clip off new parts coming and under hood and front end painted with roll bar and chassis paint.

Stack and exhaust is in tonneau cover in new tailgate cover and frame support cut and mounted axle stops mounted and set and some chrome trim added around the edges lol

The truck needs painted. So, instead my friend is making all my decals and sponsors decals and also going to wrap the truck in gloss black vinyl to cover up the paint and body work imperfections. Wheels and tires are being swapped out shortly and some front suspension work is next on the list. Enjoy !

#4 ·
Subbin in! Interested to see how the wrap turns out. I've been debating doing that on my rockers.

#12 ·
Nice thread man. Should be pretty wicked once it's done. how much rpm are you going to spin?

My experience with decal/rock guard on street driven vehicles is it gets wiped out within 2 years, and needs to be redone.

Reactions: schoust
#7 ·
Here a few pics of the 6.7 I found in a barn last fall. 80k miles great shape.

Mild 5.9 head setup for 6.7 block

Ready for assembly

All assembled

Custom valve cover coated

Cunningham billet rods

Scheid cam

Fly cut QSB 4.2125" bore 6.7 bowl Pistons

Metallic base coat

4 coats of candy and 2 clear

Crank in and torqued

This is all I have thus far. More to come. Enjoy!

#19 ·
I thought that might be D&J. Nice. Does it integrate with the stock return locations?

#20 ·
No. It uses the two freeze port oil galley plugs on the driver side rear of the block. Then bolts to the block and is o ringed around the ports. Then the out side section bolts to the base plate and uses two 3/4" pipe fittings Maybe smaller I forget off too my head. For the breather tubes. Most people running them don't run. Factory breather hoses anyways

#23 ·
Yes they are a bolt in style. I probably won't end up using these because I had problems with them leaking and popping out last build. I'll probably buy the drill and tap bolt in style from drew for those 3

#25 ·
nice, nice, nice!!

#26 ·
nice build thus far, I really wondering how the wrap turns out too. Often considered this option, haven't got to the point of pricing it out though.

#29 ·
We had a Chevy 1500 wrapped for recruiting for work, it was pretty elaborate and if i recall correctly is was in the neighborhood of 3k. I looked into it for my car at one point, i was quoted 1500 for flat colors 2k for gloss. The truck we had done held up well, its been 3 years now and its starting to show some wear and fading (it lives outside in SoCal). I imagine a competition only truck that lives in a garage would last for a looong time. The thing i would be concerned with on a pulling truck is kicking dirt and rocks and chipping it all up, may want to look into a mud flap of sorts.

#27 ·
Thanks guys! I got some more parts today. Waiting on a call back from drew on some billet parts to be ordered. Soon as I get my rings filed and I can do the bottom end.
The wrap should be cool. Just one solid color in black gloss vinyl then all the decals on after. We're gonna give it a try lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.