stock turbo wastegate adjustment - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
stock turbo wastegate adjustment

im thinking about getting the quadzilla boost fooler, and i need to know how to adjust the wastegate because i have the early 04 model with the mechanical wastegate. thanks
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You can get an adjustable boost elbow for the turbo that allows you to make more boost without the wastegate opening... This is the one I ordered for my early 04 Edge Boost Elbow for 94-04 Dodge Trucks
Old 08-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

What does the adjustable boost elbow do? When does the waste gate open?
2003 2500 Auto: Built Tranny from Source Automotive, FASS 150, Smarty S-06 POD, EDGE Insight CS, AFE Mega Cannon, Mag-Hytec diff/tranny, 5" TBE & Aero 5050XL, Firestone Airbags, Tuff Country Easy Ride 6" Lift, 37" Toyo MTs. The S.O.L.I.D Crew
dleigh007 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

A boost elbow is a brass fitting that that replaces the original wastegate elbow and allows "adjustment" of the wastegate for a "higher" boost level. It bleeds off some of the original boost signal and fools the wastegate into opening later than OEM spec. I think my buddy is running about 30lbs of boost after installing his. Usually there is an allen adjustment on the elbow that you can adjust in and out to bleed more air around the wastegate so it opens later and allows you to boost more.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

cool im gonna have to try this out, when your running high boost and drop the throttle do you get any turbo bark?
Old 08-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I haven't noticed any on my buddies truck and he has been running it for almost 2 years I think. I haven't received mine yet to tell you how it does on my truck.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Been running an adjustable boost elbow for about five years now. Set to 32 psi. No issues to report.

MikeyB
MikeyB is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

how do you set the boost levels? or once you screw it tightly in it automatically has a setting?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

It is adjustable.. usually an allen screw you adjust on the elbow itself that changes the amount of boost signal your wastegate receives so it thinks you are creating less boost than you are.. which is where the boost fooler comes in for your computer. And I definately recommend a boost gauge.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 18 reviews
I have a clamp on my hose. That is my adjustable elbow.....

There's no adjustment specs on the elbow itself. You adjust it and watch your guage if you have one. If you don't have a boost guage then you will not know how much boost you are making...
04 Ram 2500,Green/Silver-305/555HO,48RE,3:73s, QC,LB,4x4,Roadwire Leather,Laramie Interior,Infinity, HE351 Turbo,Custom 4" Exhaust,VA C3.2,Westach gauges,Torque Tube,BeCool Fan,Fogzilla,TRM,4th Gen 18" Laramie Rims w/ stock 275-70 tires,78,000 miles
Dodgezilla is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

what about something like the banks Big Head actuator? is that just a more heavy duty version? or is it the same thing as the elbow?
'03 Lme 3500, Isspros w/srt-10 mount, Banks Hi Ram., K&n full intake, all Braided brake lines, Slotted front rotors, tuff country lift, Mag hytec all around, Raptor 100, procomp traction bars, DRW to SRW conv.
blink_man24 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

From what I understand the Big Head wastegate has a heavier spring mostly so it doesn't open prematurely like the stock one can. It might create a little more boost also but the elbow or hose clamp actually restricts the amount of air making it to the wastegate so it thinks you are not creating as much boost as you actually are. The pressure isn't all making it to the wastegate to cause it to open. Do both and you might actually make a little more boost than one by itself..
blink_man24 (09-12-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.