Sonnax Sure Cure for 48RE - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sonnax Sure Cure for 48RE

O.k., so I wanted a shift kit in the trans for firmer shifts and reduction of clutch slippage. Right now I only have the Xzillaraider on the truck and it's fine. I don't plan on going over 100 hp on any programmer that I install. Anyway, with that being said, I went to a very good tranny builder in NoVA and he recommended this:

http://www.sonnax.com/announcements/SC-46-47RHE.pdf

He said it would take care of all of the issues that the newer stock transmissions have. My issue was the soft shift, eliminating that small delay before a shift, and just a little firmer shift. He said this was my best option and that if I wanted a Transgo he'd do it but he recommended this. Has anyone had/used one of these kits before in their Dodge?
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
low life

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
sounds like it would work...i install a gorend vavle body in my 01 and really like it, i plan on doing the same to this truck....the vb cost a little more but the labor was free..

alot more to come
01cumminsred is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The valve bodies are different on the 03-04.5 48re to 05-07 IIRC. I would check with sonnax.

Gone:
04.5 Ram 2500 Reg Cab 48re 205k miles
Cat fuel filter
rufushusky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufushusky View Post
The valve bodies are different on the 03-04.5 48re to 05-07 IIRC. I would check with sonnax.
Minor differences, nothing that would effect what they are aiming to cure with this kit.

Doesn't say anything about PR springs and raising pressures. A lot of things they are referencing have been pretty well cured with the 48RE. For the money, a Transgo would better IMO.

1992 D250 47RH Built pump 370 Marine Tips
cerberusiam is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Sonnax makes great products, but I have to agree with cerberusiam. I think a transgo would be better.
badme is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusiam View Post
Minor differences, nothing that would effect what they are aiming to cure with this kit.
Ok I knew there where some differences...off the top of your head you would not happen to know what they are? Sorry for the hijack....

Gone:
04.5 Ram 2500 Reg Cab 48re 205k miles
Cat fuel filter
rufushusky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009, 11:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
low life

i still think a just buying a vavle body from gorend or suncoast takes all the guess work out of it...jmo

alot more to come
Old 06-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufushusky View Post
Ok I knew there where some differences...off the top of your head you would not happen to know what they are? Sorry for the hijack....
The differences in the early and late Transgo kits indicate they change the routing of the fluid dump slightly in a couple places. There used to be a vent to evacuate the circuits and now there isn't. IIRC, we drilled a hole where there isn't one and I believe a restrictor plug in another.

The difference really seem to be minor from what I could see.

1992 D250 47RH Built pump 370 Marine Tips
cerberusiam is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm just getting back to this. My issue was I wanted to raise line pressure, and you're saying that the Sonnax kit won't do that? I had my heart set on a TransGo before I went into that shop to talk to the tranny builder.

Where it all started for me is, like a dummy, I didn't check the tranny fluid in the truck when I bought it last month. Now checking it the other day it's waaay over full, and it's dark red. It should look like blood right? It doesn't smell burnt, but it does look beat up. Also, off the line the truck bangs gears pretty good. Crusing and going to WOT the transmission get's confused, sounds like it's slipping, etc. Leaving the line at light throttle the transmission just seems to damn mushy for my taste. I had a transmission built for my Grand National and at light throttle it bump gears ever so slightly and was a really positive shift, and the harder you got on it the harder it shifted. I really liked that, and that's what I'm looking for.

So I should just buy the Transgo kit (since I don't want a VB right now) and forgo the Sonnax kit?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01cumminsred View Post
i still think a just buying a vavle body from gorend or suncoast takes all the guess work out of it...jmo
Yeah, I understand what you're saying but I don't want to piece together a transmission. I'm going to eventually buy a Goerend unit, but not right now. For now I just want more line pressure to reduce slippage, flow in park, and a few other things.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
low life

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkin View Post
Sorry, I'm just getting back to this. My issue was I wanted to raise line pressure, and you're saying that the Sonnax kit won't do that? I had my heart set on a TransGo before I went into that shop to talk to the tranny builder.

Where it all started for me is, like a dummy, I didn't check the tranny fluid in the truck when I bought it last month. Now checking it the other day it's waaay over full, and it's dark red. It should look like blood right? It doesn't smell burnt, but it does look beat up. Also, off the line the truck bangs gears pretty good. Crusing and going to WOT the transmission get's confused, sounds like it's slipping, etc. Leaving the line at light throttle the transmission just seems to damn mushy for my taste. I had a transmission built for my Grand National and at light throttle it bump gears ever so slightly and was a really positive shift, and the harder you got on it the harder it shifted. I really liked that, and that's what I'm looking for.

So I should just buy the Transgo kit (since I don't want a VB right now) and forgo the Sonnax kit?

i had a friend with the trans go kit in his 2000 model 24 vavle the trans shop did not set up the pressure right it felt like it was reended everytime it hit 2nd gear not fun to drive and a good way to break hard parts...vavle bodys are what 500 bucks but easy enough you can install yourself...the transgo is prolly alittle over 100 bucks then you have to pay someone to install it...i think in the end it all washes out on price....just depends on what you want!

alot more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.