Cold Weather Kit - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cold Weather Kit

Hey guys i need your help on which one of these two items is better for the winter coming up. I have checked already for the block heater cord and its not there so my question is do i buy just the cable with the plug end,
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER CABLE (FLEETGUARD) ('03-'07 DODGE)-Dodge Cummins and Ford Power Stroke Diesel Truck Accessories - Geno's Garage or do i go for the whole setup with the cord, two heated battery blankets, and a leather radiator cover.
MOPAR DIESEL COLD WEATHER KIT ('03-'08 DODGE)-Dodge Cummins and Ford Power Stroke Diesel Truck Accessories - Geno's Garage Last year i did ok but i never really got heat until i was almost all the way to work and i was surprised how well the cardboard between the intercooler and the radiator held up. I just dont want to freeze all the way to work this year. thanks
chris
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i use some grille inserts, they are polished stainless, and block off the whole grille. worked great for me, but that was only gettin down to about 20* outside. i dunno if all you need is the plug for the block heater, but the block heater makes all the difference in the world for warmup time.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Go w/ just the cord. I've never been to mass in the winter but i don't believe it'll get near cold enough to need the whole get up. The battery blankets aren't really needed unless you're in extreme cold weather climate, below 0 at night on a consistent basis.
04.5 2500 48RE - K&N Intake w/ AmsoilNano Filter, Smarty, 33" M/T BajaATZ, Airdog150, isspro EV boost, pyro & trans temp, XDP Sump, Schied50s, Goerend valve body, Goerend triple disk converter, sonnax 1pc billet input.
mathewshunter is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Add a block heater to your truck and then get the 'cold weather front' from the dealer. It's like $150. It's a cover that goes in front of the radiator. It goes on in about 2 minutes, and has flaps to adjust airflow. It's a really nice piece. I love mine. Even though I only have 12 miles to work, I would barely have any heat by the time I got there. Now with the cold front cover, I get great heat and the MPG increased because the trucks up to operating temp.

Last edited by Hot Stuff; 09-21-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Hot Stuff is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Here's a link to it I found on the web..... I just bought the front cover. I didn't want the battery warmers. It's all a Mopar peice, and it fits great. It fits behind the grill, in front of the condensor. You can't even see it when it's on. And to adjust airflow, you just pop the hood and pull one of the flaps open. Just like on a semi.

Mopar OEM Dodge Ram Diesel Engine Cold Weather Kit 03-08 - AutoTruckToys.com
Old 09-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Thanks i didnt think the battery blankets are needed but it sure is nice to have a real radiator cover rather then a piece of cardboard
Old 09-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

It is a super nice cover. I looked at alot of grill inserts ans other types, and then I stumbled on the factory piece. I shoulda just looked there first! It's a great unit and for the $$ it is a really good investment. I really love mine. I put it on once the temps are at 30*F for good, then just close the flaps as needed as it gets colder out.

Just call up a dealer and order the front cover seperatly. No need for the batt. blankets. That's what I did.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have the battery blankets and block heater and i like the battery blankets, they keep them batts. warm. Since i have a grid heater delete i hope its gona start this winter. LOL
Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I purchased the complete Mopar weather kit online and it was a lot cheaper then from my local dealer. Being in VT, you just never know when it will hit and stay below -20* in the dead of winter. It works great and very glad I purchased it. Have heat within a few miles of the house.

Where from MA? I grew up in Ashland/Framingham area and moved up here in 1986.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

hey nutty im not that far down in mass im up in the dracut area right next to lowell. do you remeber where you got it for online genos is the cheapest place i found it online besides ebay if i keep an eye out.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

where is the plug to plug the cable in?
Diesel Ram is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I don't remember as it was last year that I bought it. But I do remember it was from a Dodge Dealer but out in the Midwest. It was about $75 cheaper then my local dealer, even with shipping. But it did show up online for then. Sorry.

For the plug, it replaced the current motor plug, the 2 battery plugs you would need to route over the radiator support. All in the instructions that were pretty good.

Thought about putting it back on this morning since it is foggy and about 37* outside. Hopefully it will get back up into the 60*'s today.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.