2006 5.9 Air Conditioning Problem - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2006 5.9 Air Conditioning Problem

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram2500 4x4 Megacab A/T 5.9 Diesel. When the outside temperature is < 80 d/f the A/C operates fine however when the outside tem. > 85 d/f the A/C is poor and blows warm/hot air at idle. The dealer states that everything checked fine and this is normal as the condenser is located near the cold air induction. I have spoken to owners of other diesels (Ford, Chevy, etc) and they don't have this problem. Has anyone encountered this? Is this normal? If not any suggestions please.
robertwrackl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

My A/C doesn't cool very well at idle either, but anything above idle it gets COLD I haven't taken it to the dealer though, just figured it was normal.
'07 3500 Mega Cab Dually 4X4. 5.9 w/Auto Trans. Edge J/A, Gutted TT, K&N drop-in, Straight Pipe, AirDod II, Bilstein Shocks/Steering Stab, 5'r hitch. Future Plans; Trans Upgrade. What I pull; 34' HR Bunk House 5'r.
Rapid Ascent is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Mine blows cold at idle so I think your dealer needs his head examined. Since when is it normal for AC to blow warm? I'll bet it wouldn't be "normal" on his personal truck.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Mine does the same thing, anyone find the solution to this problem?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
I'm also having this problem. Blows warm air at idle and gets cold and works fine as soon as I start driving. I can hear the compressor kick in at idle but doesn't stay engaged. It would be nice to have it cold at all times but no biggie.
copenglenn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

This has been a known problem. I have the same thing, And no solution yet I believe, it has even mentioned on vehicle reports that financial groups use on vehicles. but it is only on the 06 models. dont know whats different for that yr but?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

My truck does the same thing, I looked at the compressor and it was shutting on and off, so I'm going to add freon, I took a quick look and didn't see the inlet, soon I'm going to get a can of freon and get in there and really look.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

how long are you idling? does it do it when the engine isnt up to full operating temp?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

At any Idle, at a red light, stop sign. first start up, pretty much anything below @ 1200 Rpm for mine.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
mine will freeze me out idling, even for 15 minutes or more. I had a bad blend door too that eventually took out my blower. Just had it all replaced and it's good as new again. I have a regular cab but it still blows cold out of the vent. If it's below 90^ sometimes I have to blend some warm in so I don't freeze. I'd take it to another dealer.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
addicted

same problem here! the other thing is that the blower sounds like it is really doing something but not much air coming out compared to other vehicles ive been in
2006 5.9 truck is under construction!!!!!! 8" rize w/ ladder bars, 1" coil spacer, 3" body , rize four link bars, amp reserch steps, RBP grille, RBP 22" wheels, 40" toyo mt's,guages, HTS full billet trans, 8" single stack kit w/5 turbo down pipe, smarty P.O.D., arp head studs, 150 hp injectors, dual cp3's, fass fuel pump,silver bullet 66, custom stereo system, katskinz,custom airbox
fatboy2500 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy2500 View Post
same problem here! the other thing is that the blower sounds like it is really doing something but not much air coming out compared to other vehicles ive been in
I was just about to say that! I was in the truck for 12hrs yesterday on a road trip and the person traveling with me cranked up the air after the truck sat in the sun for a while and asked what was wrong with it? He said that the sound the blower (obviously very high RPMs) was making it should be pushing out a fairly high volume of air, even if we closed half of the vents when you hold your hand infront of the open vent its barely a breeze!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.