New 3.0 V6 Diesel Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
New 3.0 V6 Diesel Engine

Check out this article in Diesel Power Mag. Looks like its speculated to go in the 2014 Ram 1500 and Silverado 1500. Imagine the MPG with that engine in a half ton!!

Inside The Banks VM Motori 3.0L 630T V6 Diesel Engine - Diesel Power Magazine

Cant wait to hear more about this....... Happy Reading!
REP2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Until they load it up with a bunch of emissions crap and then lock out the computers so we can't tune them. Then the mileage will suck and nothing we will be able to do about it. This is something that should have been done 10-15 years ago in my opinion.

I would rather swap a 4bt into an s10 I think in the long run.
The Following User Says Thank You to tgibbs For This Useful Post:
Boomer6104 (06-05-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Nice!

The 4bt was a great engine, you're right, and i prefer the inline formation in a turbo diesel. BUT! at least people are thinking and doing!... forever it has been us rednecks chopping jeep frames and throwing 4bt's in off road vehicles and a few light trucks to achieve 40-50 MPG and plenty of torque (300lb range)... I think these engines will do well and hopefully everyone soon will realize that gasoline is becoming obsolete due to inefficiency. Thanks for the Post!
-Mark
mcarriker5 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,276 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Not goin in the silverado I can tell you that for sure.
Parts for sale Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49. Parting out 08 3500.
Shibbyutman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Agreed...

....and being Gale Banks' product, I'd bet on F-150... and I'd doubt 2014... Probably 2018 or so. AND WHY NOT MAKE A STRAIGHT 4CYL AND PUT IT IN THE 1/4 TON'S!!!!!
mcarriker5 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibbyutman View Post
Not goin in the silverado I can tell you that for sure.
Agreed, GM and Chrysler would NEVER be using the same engine in a light duty pickup....
2013 Ram 3500 Dually CTD 6.7/Aisin/4:10 LSD
Previous Rams:
90 CC Dually, 94 RC LB, 95 CC SB, 98 QC Dually, 00 QC Dually, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually, 05 QC Dually, 08 QC Dually, 10 CC Dually
Ram3500Dually is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarriker5 View Post
The 4bt was a great engine, you're right, and i prefer the inline formation in a turbo diesel. BUT! at least people are thinking and doing!... forever it has been us rednecks chopping jeep frames and throwing 4bt's in off road vehicles and a few light trucks to achieve 40-50 MPG and plenty of torque (300lb range)... I think these engines will do well and hopefully everyone soon will realize that gasoline is becoming obsolete due to inefficiency. Thanks for the Post!
-Mark
What I don't understand is why we don't have diesels in all our econo-boxes. They are all over Europe where something like 85% of passenger cars sold today are diesel. They are now cleaner than gas, more reliable, and they get 60-70mpg. Why aren't these in the US market?

Is it just because everyone thinks diesel means the Cutlass their dad had which was still running after you got out and were half way into the mall and had black smoke pouring out the tailpipe?

I'd have a little diesel commuter at 70mpg!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjesson View Post
What I don't understand is why we don't have diesels in all our econo-boxes. They are all over Europe where something like 85% of passenger cars sold today are diesel. They are now cleaner than gas, more reliable, and they get 60-70mpg. Why aren't these in the US market?
thats a easy question to answer....

Emissions.....

Ford has made the Ford Fiesta (think thats how you spell it) in Europe with a 3 cyl diesel (believe it was a 3 cyl). They did a review of it in one of them diesel magazines a few years back. It got 75 mpg!. Its not available in the US because of emissions...
Jeep makes the Patriot diesel for overseas market. It gets 50mpg. The standard gas model gets about 25 (I know cause i owned one). Not available in the US because of emissions....

It all started in 2007. Thats when the ULSD came out and thats when basically most of the auto makers that had diesels had to stop making them because they didn't meet the new 2007 emissions.

I really don't get it.
Can someone tell me that burning 2 gallons of gasoline produces less emissions then 1 gallon of diesel in the same type of vehicle???
Smuggler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I had heard it wasn't an emissions issue. That the diesels they are running in Europe are cleaner than gas engines.

I had a friend who was involved with the Fiat 500 line and they have a diesel in Europe that reportedly gets 90mpg but he said the US public doesn't want it. That it is a marketing thing, not an emissions thing.

I could be wrong.

There have been ongoing rumours of lots of little cars with diesels that never seem to come to fruition: There was supposed to be the Fiat 500, a Mini, a VW bug, some Audis, BMWs, etc.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer

Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,276 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
its all about emisisons. our NOX requirements are much more stringent here than they are in europe. the Gubment mandated that diesels and gas vehicles have near the same output for NOX, when typically a diesel would have potentially 100 to 1000 times more NOX emissions than a comparably sized gas powertrain.
Parts for sale Van Aken SmartBox, 03-05 Banks 6Gun, TST PMCR w/R37 remote also have another full one w/R49. Parting out 08 3500.
Shibbyutman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I think it's a two fold issue, one what Shibby is saying, our requirements are stricter so if you were to build a small diesel you have that to contend with. Then you have to deal with the general public who think diesels are all just black smoke and holes in the ozone, global warming, etc etc. The typical liberal mind can be presented with all the facts on diesel engines and it wont matter, you wont ever change their mind.

These two things means you won't be seeing diesels in the US in anything but pickups where they are necessary. A car isn't necessary but they would be more efficient.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
wwm
Diesel Freak

I believe the oil company's in our nation are helping to deny these high millage vehicles so we pay for more for fuel and they get more money we are in no shortage of fuel just the big heads are able to sway the market however they please
The Following User Says Thank You to wwm For This Useful Post:
deerNdodgeBed (02-14-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.