How do you know when your sway bar links are bad? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
108,000 miles

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How do you know when your sway bar links are bad?

It seems like the new fad is to replace your OE sway bar links for the MAXXLink Performance Sway Bar End Links. How do you know when the factory links are bad?
06/QCSB/Big Horn/4X4/48RE/Aero 4040XL/PSM Air Intake/Cool Hose/T.A.G./GDP Big Line Kit & Max-Flo Inlet Kit/GDP Air Boss & Power-Flo/Bilstein/Fluidampr/MAG-HYTEC/Amsoil By-Pass/TRC Billet 2 Micron Fuel Filter & Water Separator/DieselSite Trany Spin-On Filter/DieselSite Coolant Filter/Carli BJ
dieselenthusiast is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

When you hear the clunking under your feet when driving. It feels like someone is taping on your floor board.
dieselenthusiast (10-09-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
108,000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesEX View Post
When you hear the clunking under your feet when driving. It feels like someone is taping on your floor board.
Thanks! Is there a common mileage when this starts to happen? Iím at 77,000 miles and havenít experienced the floor tapiní yet.
06/QCSB/Big Horn/4X4/48RE/Aero 4040XL/PSM Air Intake/Cool Hose/T.A.G./GDP Big Line Kit & Max-Flo Inlet Kit/GDP Air Boss & Power-Flo/Bilstein/Fluidampr/MAG-HYTEC/Amsoil By-Pass/TRC Billet 2 Micron Fuel Filter & Water Separator/DieselSite Trany Spin-On Filter/DieselSite Coolant Filter/Carli BJ
Old 10-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselenthusiast View Post
It seems like the new fad is to replace your OE sway bar links for the MAXXLink Performance Sway Bar End Links. How do you know when the factory links are bad?
lol.. The reason I am changing mine is the lower boots are basically gone and the bushings look like within a year or so they may go / may not.. but new new ones aren't thAt much.. Plus I was just going over the front end looking around.. I have had my truck 7 years and have not really had any problems with the ball joints/other front end parts.. But I am putting the maxx links and a stabilizer bar on just because..
diesel&coffee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
108,000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel&coffee View Post
lol.. The reason I am changing mine is the lower boots are basically gone and the bushings look like within a year or so they may go / may not.. but new new ones aren't thAt much.. Plus I was just going over the front end looking around.. I have had my truck 7 years and have not really had any problems with the ball joints/other front end parts.. But I am putting the maxx links and a stabilizer bar on just because..
I know what you mean. After reading this forum, youíd think that the Dodge suspension starts to fall apart the day you drive it off the lot and everything needs to be replaced within the first 50,000 miles. So far, I havenít replaced anything on my truck, so thatĎs why IĎm confused as to why people are changing their entire front-end. I keep thinking that something is going to break or tear loose at anytime, lol.

I need to give my mom and wife gift ideas for Christmas. I saw that the Maxx Links were affordable, so that would make a good Christmas present. And if itís something that I need to replace sometime in the future, then I donít mind asking for them.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I've got 151,500 on my 06 so that is why I am going through the entire front end and replacing most of the components. I figure it's probably time! Maxx links are on the list as well.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

mine are twisted like j hooks and still work fine, I have a 160.00 set of moogs to install but the old nasty ones keep holding on, and about the boots hahaha they fell off 50k ago
2004 2500 BLACK SLT 4X4 SWB LEVELING SPRINGS,35 FALKEN ROCKY MOUNTAIN AT,STOCK WHEELS, POWER PUCK,AIRRAID,AIRRAID MIT, 4IN PIPE,EGT,BOOST,TRANS TEMP,FUEL PRESS,4 GAL ON BOARD AIR 145PSI, GROVER HORN, PIONEER FLIP 7IN SCREEN,MEPHIS AUDIO,COBRA LTD
REELNATIVE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
My passengers side one had snapped, soooooo I figured it was due.

2005 2500 Laramie Sport, CTD/Auto/4x4, Black/Grey Leather
Smarty S-06, MBRP Delete, Flo-Pro, AFE Stg 2, Autometer gauges, Revtek Level Kit, Carli Front End Kit, Method Double Standards, Toyo AT Extreme 35/12.5/18, Firestone Bags, Custom Headache Rack

*WANTED* ARP Head Studs
Canadian CTD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

When the links are bad the anti-roll bar is slower to respond, and can't work as well when it does. As you are going down the highway twitch the wheel to see if the truck is starting to feel as if it is going to go out of control. Compared to what it should have felt like when new. Granted, other worn components will add to this, but the links are cheap and easy to replace in comparison.

Links, bushings and shock absorbers ought to be good for about 100k of light driving before wear becomes appreciable (as Ram brakes and OEM Michelins are also good for about this long).

Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.