Axle Nut tightening - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Axle Nut tightening

I am assembling back my front left hub after changing the u-joint on my 2006 RAM 3500 4x4. Everything went well, except: I am at tightening the axle nut and as tighter I go the harder to spin the wheel(hub). It is supposed to be torqued to 263 but why is it dragging the wheel? Did I do something wrong?
kensk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

thats the correct torque
Old 03-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gone Fishin'

there should be some resistance. but how much are you experiencing?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do not understand why there would be any resistance? The nut tightens the end of the axle to the bearing hub. The other end is a loose spline in the diff. This axle should still rotate freely. Also, why does it need such a torque? This should not have any effect on the wheel bearing.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gone Fishin'

if the nut is under torqued you will have premature bearing failure. did you install the hub correctly?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

It is an open diff, but it will still have a GREAT DEAL of resistance. If you grab the hub by hand, you won't be able to get it to free spin like you would think. It will stop spinning the second you let go. With your tire on it, it will spina little bit, but don't expect more than a turn or 2
Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I took the bearing off again and all I could think of was that the back of the hub/bearing rubs against the thin metal skirt on the short end of the axle. I scraped all the rust from both parts, greased it and assembled. The wheel works, I am not sure what else I could do.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

The brakes can make the wheel slightly harder to spin even when the brake pedal is not being touched.

Is the vehicle definitely not in 4x4?

How hard is it to spin?
txgypsy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
SJS
Cummins Enthusiast

yeah when i changed mine the brakes where holding it a bit.....took it for a drive jacked it up spun free...might be your problem..
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS View Post
yeah when i changed mine the brakes where holding it a bit.....took it for a drive jacked it up spun free...might be your problem..
I changed the passenger side U-joint this evening and noticed that the axle was locked up when I bolted the hub to the spindle. I put the axle nut on and tightened it. Once it was snugged up, the axle spun freely again.

What are the torque specs for the hub to spindle bolts and the brake bracket to spindle bolts? I know they were f'ing TIGHT when I took it apart.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.