Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Has anyone ever disabled the steering wheel lock?

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  hpstran 
#1 ·
I'm currently making a new ignition system that doesn't use the key and i need to find a way to disable the steering wheel lock. The manual doesn't help at all. I'm pretty sure its mechanical just like the shift lock (solved that though).

#5 ·
Interesting thread, I am curious as well about this...kind of like push button start on the SRT 10 viper trucks?

#6 ·
my truck uses a keypad to start it. i was thinking of a way to replace the burnt blower motor wires and a new harness was like 60 bucks. so i built a keypad ignition which only cost like 10. the keypad is mounted in the ash tray along with the starter pushbutton. everything works except you still need the key in the ignition to disable the wheel security lock.

#7 ·
Can you post any pics?

#10 ·
The pics didn't show...can you try posting them again or send em to me? Thanks! hpstran@hotmail.com

#9 ·
Back in the day folks would just crank on em real hard when they were locked, breaking the tab...not sure I would want to do it that way though. :)

#11 ·
[URL="[/URL]

[URL="[/URL]

#12 · (Edited)
Also found this thread when just searching but not sure if this passive steering lock operates the same on our trucks or not? According top this link it is part of the actual ignition switch. Mazspeed's First Generation Rx-7 Club Page I imagine since this is an anti-theft feature that the mechanism locking our steering wheels will have some sort of anti theft screws that you will have to slot in order to remove them. I don't have anything apart at the moment but will try to check it out myself if I have time unless you figure it out before I do!:confused013:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.