Dodge Ram 3500 Dually tires - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Dodge Ram 3500 Dually tires

I have a rebuilt 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4 Dually. It came with four Brand new Toyo H/T Open Country LT 235/80 R17 10PR tires on the back. It had some different tires that was a different ply rating for the front two tires. It was really squirrely on the drive back. I put the matching tires on the front two and it seemed to straighten up right away. This past weekend I drove 1300 miles round-trip and picked up a 2000 Astro Fish and Ski Boat that weighs about 2300 pounds trailer and all. When I got home just about every tire on the back (all four) were wore down almost slick. The tires looked like they wore evenly. The worst one was on the passenger side towards the curb (outside tire). It is almost bald. The other three are wore down just about as bad.
I am a noob with Duallys. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this. I aslo need to add that the tire says max load cold is 80psi for both single or dual wheel applications. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Are these the right kind of tires for my rig? If I have frame damage or a bent axle or some kind of problem from the po's wreck wouldn't the tires by wearing differently. The tires were low on air when I checked them. One had as low as about 50psi. the other three including the one that wore the worst had over 60psi in them. I now have 80 pounds in all six tires. Sorry for the long post. Any advice is welcome. Because I am a little leery of putting new tires on if they are going to wear that much tread in about a years worth of service. Thanks to all in advance.

George
jagcb750 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hootie Hooo!!!

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I have had a rough time keeping my tires to wear even as well....I think it has alot to do with tire pressures. Plus the front ends on our trucks are not the best either which you will probably notice in other posts.
2004.5 Ram 3500 Dually, Smarty w/ Edge Insight CTS, Fass Fuel, II 85% CP3, II 125HP Sticks, ARP Headstuds, Hamilton Cam, Hamilton Valvetrain, Industrial Injection Compounds (S474/PS62), Ported Head, TC Modded Rail and Adapter, Spool Aid, Valair Clutch, Doghouse Diesel One Piece Driveshaft, In Car Computer, Train Horns and a whole lot of other stuff!
hpstran is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

i run retreads because tires on a dually just dont last very long joyriding..
Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

The case of the vanishing tread

Thanks for the input. I have just recently been driving my Dually regularly. I had another vehicle as a daily driver before, but it is on a lot being sold. I also am selling my bike. So long story short I am exclusively driving my Dodge now. But, I have only put 2000 - 2500 miles on it since I purchased it and when I did, the back tires were brand spanking new. I just can't see all my tread disappearing in that few of miles. My brother is going to take it to an alignment place that is going to shoot a laser and see if it is aligned correctly in the rear end. Costs about 70 bucks or so. I don't really think this is the problem, but it will at least rule it out if it is not. Anybody know which tires tread lasts the longest? I am afraid to buy new tires on my rig just to watch them get chewed up in a couple thousand miles or so.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I get about 30-40k towing on retreads i buy local
Old 08-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Retreads

Our local tire shop retreads tires, but only for very Large trucks. No known source locally or I would give it a try.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Part of your problem is the toyosrun a soft tread to begin with. If you don't want to run retreads, run a good tire, like Michelin or bfg. You need a harder compound for your truck. Oh, and follow the recommended air pressure that's on your door or door pillar.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

@91cummins

sounds like good advice. However, my Dodge was T-boned right on the driver's side doors and when it was repaired and repainted, there is no factory door jamb label with that information. Anybody have a 2007 Dodge St Quad Dually 4x4 with a 5.9l Cummins in it that knows what the specs are? I will look in my owner's manual in the am and see what it says in there.
Michelins would be nice if I can work this into my budget.

Last edited by jagcb750; 08-31-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-31-2010, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

The biggest factors that effect tire wear are rotation habits, air pressure, and suspension component conditions...with the 1st two being the most commonly over looked. While the tires on your truck say 80, you certainly don't want to run that high of a PSI in the rear. A DRW truck spreads the weight on it's rear end over 4 tires instead of 2. Lets say you run 60 in the rears on your SRW truck, well you can run about 30 in the rears on your DRW truck. As far as rotation, you want to make sure to rotate your tires about every 5 - 7.5k. If you follow both of those rules, and keep the suspension components in good working condition, than a set of tires should last you a long time.

On my truck I run 80 in the front, 35 in the rear (unloaded), and I rotate the tires every 7.5k. So far I have 55k on my OEM Ameritracs and can easily get another 5k out of them. Though, once I get some money in the next few months I'll be getting them replaced as they are pretty far down. 55k miles is good for a set of tires in my book.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

55k is great. Having previously worked at discount tire, I can attest to people's bad habits of taking care of tires. Even the best tires will wear like , if not taken care of. Your rear air pressure when unloaded should never be Maxed out, but should be closely watched as too low a pressure can make the tires cup out. I don't even run 80 in my fronts, but that's my preference.
Rogan405 (08-21-2011)
Old 09-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

When I purchased my truck it had 110k on it with a new set of Coopers all the way around. Unfortunately I ran into the common front end problems (tie rod ends first then, later, ball joints). The result was uneven and accelerated wear on the tires. After 35k I replaced them with Goodyear Silent Armor tires. Pricey, but I'm hoping they will wear well. At least they are very quiet on the highway. The label in the door says 65# front and rear, and that's where I keep them.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Ok I have read alot of good things to do to help save your tires, BUT, NO WAY NO HOW should the truck destroy a brand new set of tires in under 2000 miles. There is something seriously mis-aligned or bent to scrub off 4 tires acros the back. I am leaning toward a bent frame, especially based on the fact that it was t-boned. If the frame is bent hard enough to the axle the truck would be dog-tracking. Now the steering axle tires would still run true but the rear axle being then on an angle would be constantly scrubbing the tires, in effect a constant yaw, which is a sliding rotating tire.

Another example would be if the front tires were towed in or out excessively they would always scrub.
Lawdog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.