Cummins Diesel Forum banner

One shop says it is ok the other says to replace it

569 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bronco71james 
#1 ·
So when I had new tires put on recently the shop said there is play in the front hub/bearing and it needed replaced right away becuase there is zero tolerance for movement. Soon after I was having some work done at another tire shop so I asked there mechanics to look at the hub and give me their opinion. Two guys looked at it and said yes it does have some play but not enough at this point to be worried. They said it will probably last a good while. They expect some play in a 4x4. So now I have two different shops telling me two different things. I would estimate that if you grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and shake there is about 1/4 to 1/8 inch play each direction. Everyone has said the ball joints are fine. What do you guys think? Is this bearing going to blow up any day now? Is this play ok? It is not making any noise. Thanks guys I just dont want to spend the money on a bearing if this is not a big deal.

#2 ·
When i had the first bearing go out on my 95 1/2 ton, the shop told me they both needed to be replaced. i told them just to get me back on the road. the one they did not replace lasted another 2 years. if you feel they have too much play in them, replace them

#3 ·
Id jack it up and check it myself. Im more of a purest and if it had as much play as they said id replace it. Like stated you could probably drive it awhile like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.