Cab is Crooked on the Frame - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cab is Crooked on the Frame

I have no idea how this happened other than it was pulled of and reinstalled improperly when the truck was painted (just bought this truck). I found this while trying to install side steps and four of the eight cab bolts were missing. After getting the required bushings and bolts I was unable to align all the holes without jacking up one side of the cab with all the other bolts loose. Prior to finishing the job I noticed that the front of the truck is severely off, more to the drivers side in the front. Is there an "easy" way to correct this? I was thinking loosen all the bolts without removing any and having a few buddies come help me shimmy/lift it back in to place. Otherwise the only way I can think of is to completely remove all bolts, lift the cab with a forklift or something similar and set it back down in the right spot. I'm obviously looking for the simplest way. Any and all help is appreciated.

2016 SRW 3500 4x4 Crew Cab LB
2005 2500 4x4 Crew Cab LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Diesel Head

sounds like a frame rack is needed to straighten the frame. might be able to use a come-along or ratchet straps on the underside and pull it into place. or sell it... does the frame look like it's been welded on or anything?

04 QCLB. 48re, 4x4.
08 mega g56, 4x4, under went weight reduction process.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

The frame does not have welding on it or appear to have any major damage. I noticed the transfer case is very close to, if not touching, the heat padding under the centerline of the cab on the drivers side. Almost like if it was moved over back to center it wouldn't be touching there or sticking out on the drivers side. I am going to loosen all the bolts without removing any and try to use straps and a come-along to get it back to center. Not selling it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
You can check the frame yourself by hanging plumb bobs off eight various spots on the frame and marking the concrete under the points. Then measure in a criss cross method as shown in the below photo. It is a WWII Willys MB jeep frame but the method to check for straightness is the same for all frames. In this picture they are using all the spring hangers but if you just pick spots on the frame that are the same for left and right you will achieve the same results.

Bill H.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Ram 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Short Bed, Smarty SO6 395HP tune, Edge CTS Insight
Psalm 83:18 2 Timothy 3:1-5
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Good info. I appreciate it.

The truck rides well and tracks down the road as it should. It doesn't pull one way or the other and it sits level left to right, bed and cab lines line up as they should and no dents in the back of the cab or front of the bed. The truck was repainted and I believe they did a poor job of reinstalling the cab. This is the least molested truck I have seen for being an 05. It is completely stock with everything right in the spot it should be. I am not worried about it, just aesthetically it is off. I don't think anyone would notice unless it was pointed out to them.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Diesel Head

iwould double check all body mounts are good
if you go to ram body builder site lots of good info and
they have frame info for your truck here
here
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2005sb...x459diesel.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode