"Click" when steering left & right... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 3rd Gen. Dodge Cummins 03-07 Common Rail Forums > 3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dan @ Carli

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
"Click" when steering left & right...

When i am making a 2 or 3 point turn adn have to crank the wheels either all the way left or all the way right, I get a loud CLICK from what I can only assume is something in my steering. Anyone know what this is? I feel it in the steering wheel when it happens too.. Thinking maybe I need a steering brace and stabilizer cuz my tie-rods are in great shape..

2006 F250 CCSB With lots O' Goodies
| 6.0 | Carli Suspension Leveling Kit - King Pintop 2.5| IPR EGR Cooler | IPR Remote Oil Cooler | IPR High Flow Coolant Filter | IPR Stainless HPOP Screen|
OCVeloMan is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
There was a loud click/clank noise caused by bad upper ball joints on my 03 2500 4wd.
scotthawk55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dan @ Carli

was it while turning the wheel under load?

| 6.0 | Carli Suspension Leveling Kit - King Pintop 2.5| IPR EGR Cooler | IPR Remote Oil Cooler | IPR High Flow Coolant Filter | IPR Stainless HPOP Screen|
Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yep but your noise could be u-joints tie rods ball joints, jack it up and try wiggling you should find it.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quite often it is your axle U-Joint. Jack up your wheel and rotate the tire back and forth and watch the U-Joint you can tell if it is lose
Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

or try greasing the steering shaft it self... sometimes that will get dry and make some noise... worth a try.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dan @ Carli

hmmm... i will jack it up and see if i cant locate it, if not, guess ill have to take it to the shop

Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Mine has been doing a similar thing for a while now. When I go from left to right and right from left I hear/feel a click/clunk.

I jacked the truck up to inspect everything and my passenger side upper ball joint has significant play, so I am assuming that is it.

I've just been waiting for Carli to come out with their new lower BJs so I can do all4 at once.
2006-3500-Mega-Laramie-4x4-3.73: Billet Goerend, Smarty POD, AFE SII CAI, MBRP 4", BD sbs, CFM+, QZ BoostFooler, HIDs, 5x Isspro EV2s, EBC Brakes, KW DNX9140,Viper 5901, Cobra 2500w inv., All Syn. Fluids...
dustin1706 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dan @ Carli

well that would work because i work two blocks from CARLI in anaheim... ill give them a shout.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dan @ Carli

Well after playing with it a bit more, it only does it when i go from right to left and the wheels are pointed to the left. there is a small thunk after they go past straight, then a large THUNK when i turn the wheel all the way. I think im going to take it in today.....

Old 12-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dan @ Carli

took it to the shop and they aligned it and that seemed to fix it, temporarily. My tow was off by about an INCH!

I'm still at a loss, i have no idea what is causing this and it worries me. i is a large clanking sound/feel in my front end only when the wheels are cranked to the left, especially when turning all the way. Anyone else had experience with this??

Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

ball joints. jack it up and wiggle it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.