Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Clutch fan

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  PWong 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 05 2500, I noticed my cooling fan was not coming on, so I but one from Oreallys (around $200) after the install and first time starting the truck it worked, never heard the roar like that so I knew it was working, next morning I started the truck didn't hear it, ( I'm in MI. Where it's cold till June from some reason) so I checked the smarty touch DTC and sure enough there it was "cooling fan speed" I have checked the plug and all wires to assure I didn't get them wadded up in the fan and I didn't. I'm I to assume a "bad part"?? Any ideas would be helpful... Thanks!!

#7 ·
What temp should the fan " come on" , and does it engage automatically upon a/c ??

I've only had my 05 a short time and would like to know please
The fan should kick in at coolant temp 215F increasing.
It's controlled (PWM signal) by ECM, upon when it's required.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey
#6 ·
I'm not 100% sure on that, I do know it should kick when you first start your truck, and you'll know it's on cuz it's quite loud. (Roaring) I also wondered if the fact that I have a programmer that it is interfering in some way, because I was under the impression that the fan is controlled by the ECM.

#9 ·
I agreed.
The cooling fan would kick in when high side pressure was higher than 240psi increasing.
And I don't think the fan would kick in right the way once comp starts to run.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.